A report in the Daily Express claims Liverpool and Manchester United have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Borussia Dortmund’s Ilkay Gundogan.
[ MORE: Hazard to leave Chelsea? ]
The central midfielder, 25, was said to be closing in on a move to Juventus but its understood the Italian champions are now pursuing other avenues, leaving the door wide-open for a move to the Premier League. Gundogan — a German international who scored a penalty kick for Dortmund in their 2012-13 UEFA Champions League final defeat — has been linked with a move to United repeatedly with report claiming that Louis Van Gaal is a big fan of his talents. However, could Klopp use his connection with Gundogan from their time together at Dortmund to put one over Liverpool’s fierce rivals? Both teams need reinforcements in midfield and a player of Gundogan’s caliber, with only 18 months left on his current contract, would slot straight into their starting lineups.
[ MORE: Latest transfer news ]
Manchester City are in talks with A-League side Central Coast Mariners over midfielder Anthony Caceres. Multiple outlets report that City are chasing the 23-year-old playmaker and his manager revealed on Thursday that a transfer fee has been agreed between the two clubs. Yet to be capped for Australia’s national team, Caceres has Uruguayan parents and gaining a work-permit may be tough. He is one of the most talented playmakers in the A-League and if he does sign Caceres would become the second Aussie to sign for City this season, following former Brisbane Roar midfielder Luke Brattan to the Etihad.
The latter has been loaned out to Bolton Wanderers and is yet to make an appearance. Caceres will be hoping he doesn’t follow suit but he’ll more than likely be loaned out if his move to City goes through.
[ MORE: Arsenal close to sealing Elneny deal ]
Everton were said to be chasing Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall, 30, but the Bluebirds want $15 million for the Scottish international according to the Daily Mirror. Marshall last played in the Premier League in 2013-14 when Cardiff were relegated back to the Championship at the first attempt despite his heroics. Everton’s current goalkeeping situation seems pretty settled with USMNT man Tim Howard their undisputed No. 1 and Joel Robles his back up.
However, there have been plenty of calls from the Goodison Park faithful for Howard to be replaced and Marshall coming straight in or first being Robles’ understudy could make sense… but not for the $15 million it wouldn’t.
The Guardian claims Stoke City are interested in signing West Brom’s wantaway striker Saido Berahino. Baggies boss Tony Pulis insists no bids have been made for Berahino but Tottenham Hotspur are still said to be interested in the England U-21 forward despite having four bids knocked back during the summer transfer window. That has led to Berhaino throwing his toys out of the pram and the 22-year-old has only played a handful of games so far this season in a disappointing season for one of the brightest strikers in the league.
Chelsea are also said to be in for Berahino but according to the report Stoke are lining up a club record bid of close to $20 million with Mark Hughes ready to bolster his forward line after the impressive displays of Bojan, Xherdan Shaqiri, Marko Arnautovic and Ibrahim Afellay in the attacking midfield positions. The thought of Berahino’s predatory instincts on the end of deliveries from the aforementioned quartet will have Potters fans licking their lips.