Monday’s transfer news, rumors: Bacca to Chelsea, Shelvey to Newcastle

Getty Images
0 Comments

Reports from Italy — Gazzetta dello Sport to be exact — state that Chelsea want to buy AC Milan forward Carlos Bacca for $50 million.

Bacca, 29, only joined Milan from Sevilla in the summer and the Colombian ace has scored nine goals in 21 games for the San Siro club. However, the fact that Bacca is not cup tied in Europe is a huge advantage for Chelsea and it is said that Paris Saint-Germain (Chelsea’s last 16 opponents in the UEFA Champions League) are also chasing the talented forward.

[ MORE: Latest transfer news

With Diego Costa struggling with an injury, Radamel Falcao far from fully fit and Loic Remy said to be searching for a move away from Stamford Bridge, interim boss Guus Hiddink could be short of strikers at a pivotal stage of the season. Now, will Roman Abramovich let the temporary boss splash the cash in January?

Multiple reports — including Sky Sports and the Guardian — are reporting that Bournemouth have agreed a fee of $12 million with Norwich City for striker Lewis Grabban.

The out of favor Canaries striker, who was reprimanded by his boss Alex Neil in the summer for leaving a team hotel after getting upset about a bid from Bournemouth being rejected, looks set to rejoin the Cherries and bolster their attack. Grabban, 27, scored 35 goals in 93 games when previously playing for the Cherries from 2012-14 for a fee believed to be around $5 million. He failed to settle at Norwich and although he scored 12 goals in 36 games in the Championship last season he has only scored once in the Premier League this campaign in five starts and hasn’t played since Dec. 5.

That said, with Bournemouth losing both Max Gradel and Calum Wilson to injury, Eddie Howe is on the look out for new talent up top and have already snapped up Benik Afobe from Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday. Is Grabban the next forward to arrive at the Vitality?

With Bordeaux winger Henri Saivet working on agreeing personal terms at St. James’ Park on Monday, Steve McClaren is getting money to strengthen his squad in January. Sky Sports is reporting that Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is next on their wishlist with the England international, 23, struggling to hold down a regular spot at Newcastle’s relegation rivals Swansea City. Shelvey — formerly of Charlton Athletic and Liverpool — has been a regular the past two seasons with the Swans but with his future uncertain and Swans battling against the drop, maybe a change of scenery would do him good? McClaren is a big fan and Shelvey could cost upwards of $15 million, but he would certainly add creativity and poise to Newcastle’s engine room.