Stoke City 3-1 Norwich City: Potters sink 10-man Canaries


Gary O’Neil was sent off in the first half for a reckless challenge, as Stoke City scored three second-half goals to take an easy win over Norwich City.

With the win, the Potters move up to seventh on the table, while Norwich stays 15th.

[ RELATED: Watch full match replays ]

The first half between Stoke and Norwich was a relatively quiet one, with neither side really creating any chances going forward. Stoke’s Marko Arnautovic looked the most dangerous man on the pitch, but there was nothing too dangerous for either goalkeeper.

[ RELATED: Latest Premier League standings ]

However, the game took a huge turn when Norwich’s Gary O’Neil was shown a straight red card in the 29th minute. Ibrahim Afellay had his back to the play as he shielded a ball that was rolling out of bounds when O’Neil came flying through with a wild two-footed challenge from behind. There were no real complaints from Norwich as the referee had an easy decision to send O’Neil off.

With a man advantage, Stoke took the lead just minutes into the second half, as a cross great from Arnautovic found a sliding Jonathan Walters at the back post, with the Irishman putting the Potters ahead.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

However, ten-man Norwich answered soon after with a brilliant strike from Jonny Howson. Howson ran onto a bouncing ball outside the box, with the midfielder rifling a powerful shot past Jack Butland and into the top corner.

In the 67th minute, Joselu regained the lead for Stoke in a crazy start to the second-half, as the Spaniard collected the ball at the top of the box and fired a low hard shot into the bottom corner.

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

The Potters would take a firm hold of the match with their third goal in the 78th minute, when Norwich’s Ryan Bennett flicked Ibrahim Afellay’s free kick into his own goal, putting Stoke ahead 3-1 and effectively ending the Canaries’ hopes of taking any points.