Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City: Caballero stops three PKs as City wins fourth League Cup

Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
1 Comment

What a Cup final we just saw at Wembley Stadium between Liverpool and Manchester City; A shame it had to end in kicks

Fernandinho‘s early second-half goal was set even by Philippe Coutinho‘s late tally, and the match went to kicks tied at 1.

Fernandinho hit the post with his first PK attempt after Emre Can converted, but Lucas Leiva was saved by Willy Caballero and Jesus Navas scored to level it up.

Then Caballero stopped Coutinho, and it was City’s match to lose. Aguero made his shot. Caballero stopped Lallana, and Yaya Toure won it.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

Booed at each touch, Raheem Sterling won a free kick against his old team deep in Liverpool territory. The Reds were up for the challenge, though, with Mamadou Sakho clearing.

Chances at both ends in the 24th minute. Nathaniel Clyne played James Milner through for a chance that City blocked, then Sergio Aguero cruised past Sakho en route to a great shot that Simon Mignolet pushed off the post.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

Mignolet won’t like replays of the opener, as Liverpool’s back line respected Aguero plenty as the Argentine laid the ball off to Fernandinho, who shot low to beat Mignolet under the arm when standing pat and closing his legs might’ve done the trick.

It should’ve been 2-0, but Sterling missed a streaking tap-in. He passed it wide of goal.

Maybe none, if Michael Oliver whistled Alberto Moreno for a wanton kick at Aguero. The replays showed the Argentine embellishing the play.

The majority of Liverpool’s attack in the second half went through James Milner, and the normally reliable midfielder was a touch off for most of the contest.

Sterling missed another prime chance in the 80th minute. Would the ex-Liverpool man’s mistakes make a difference for the Reds?

Maybe! Adam Lallana hit the post in the 84th minute, only for Coutinho to bank the rebound and leave us tied at 1.

Mignolet made late stops on Fernandinho and Yaya Toure, and extra time was coming.

Lallana won a free kick in the 97th minute, but Liverpool opted for a short kick and possession.

City had a tremendous chance before the first extra time period ended, but Mignolet tipped away Aguero’s chip.

In the second session, Nicolas Otamendi clattered into Nathaniel Clyne, giving away a free kick that Sturridge hit within reach of Caballero. Still 1-1.

The final five minutes saw a skirmish between Yaya Toure and Lallana, with the Ivorian shoving the Liverpool midfielder to the ground.