Leicester City 2-2 West Ham: Controversy wild as 10-man Foxes fall, then rise

1 Comment
  • Carroll equalizes on penalty
  • Vardy nabs 22nd PL goal
  • Then sees red
  • Ulloa gets late PK equalizer

It’s perhaps the wildest of points in the wildest of rides.

Aaron Cresswell‘s late and gorgeous goal appeared to have lifted West Ham United to a wild 2-1 win over Leicester City at King Power Stadium on Sunday, but a controversial late penalty kick was converted by Leonardo Ulloa to give the Foxes another point.

[ MORE: 3 things we learned ]

Jamie Vardy went from hero to villain, scoring a first-half goal before being sent off in the second, and Andy Carroll equalized for West Ham United off another controversial penalty.

Vardy was sitting on yellow when he was given a second yellow card in the 56th minute after diving in an attempt to win a penalty. And Winston Reid embellished contact, admittedly worse than Vardy’s, in order to win a PK for West Ham in the 83rd minute.

[ MORE: Vardy to get extra ban? ]

Leicester’s Premier League lead rises to 8 points with four matches to play. Spurs have five matches, beginning Monday against Stoke City.

West Ham has pulled to within three points of fifth-place Manchester United.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

Dimitri Payet had an early free kick, and somehow Cheikhou Kouyate‘s header hit not one but both posts before Kasper Schmeichel rescued it. You need a bit of luck, huh?

After a couple set pieces for West Ham, it was Leicester’s turn. Marc Albrighton‘s sweeping invitation was headed just wide by Robert Huth.

And then goal No. 22 for Vardy, as the Englishman was slipped into the left side of the box. A long throw from Schmeichel eventually found N'Golo Kante, who spied Vardy across the field and the result felt inevitable. 1-0.

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

Vardy came very close to meeting Shinji Okazaki‘s back post pass, but couldn’t quite get there.

Moments later, what was he doing? Sitting on a yellow, Vardy dove in the box after a confrontation with Angelo Ogbonna. There was no hesitation for a second yellow, and Leicester was down to 10 men for at least 34 minutes.

Leicester came within 8 minutes of holding out, too, until Moss handed out a penalty when Winston Reid hit the deck after a shove from Wes Morgan. Carroll converted.

That’s when Cresswell scored an absolute screamer to put West Ham up 2-1, but it appeared Leicester should’ve won a penalty kick when Ogbonna dragged down Robert Huth.

Then, a total makeup call, as Carroll bumped down Jeff Schlupp on the corner of the 18. Moss gave what many would view a pretty soft penalty, and Ulloa finished his chance to make it 2-2.