There have been calls for a full investigation into Sunday’s bomb hoax at Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium.
[ MORE: Top 5 PL goals this season ]
The police and crime commissioner for Greater Manchester police, Tony Lloyd, called the situation a “fiasco” as the stadium was evacuated minutes before Manchester United were due to play Bournemouth in their final game of the Premier League season.
The game has been rescheduled for Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET.
A suspicious package was found in the toilets in the North West quadrant of Old Trafford in-between the Stretford End and the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand and a controlled explosion was carried out. However, later on Sunday it was revealed that the package was a fake bomb used as part of a training exercise and the dummy device was left behind by a security company.
Now there are calls to find out how this situation occurred. Here’s more from Lloyd via the Guardian.
“It is outrageous this situation arose and a full inquiry is required to urgently find out how this happened, why it happened and who will be held accountable,” Lloyd said. “This fiasco caused massive inconvenience to supporters who had come from far and wide to watch the match, wasted the time of huge numbers of police officers and the army’s bomb squad, and unnecessarily put people in danger, as evacuating tens of thousands of people from a football stadium is not without risk.”
It was a scary day for the soccer world on Sunday as it seemed like the largest stadium in the Premier League had been targeted.
Now that we know the entire situation was due to a fake bomb being left behind by a security company as part of a previous drill, we can all breath a little easier. That said, this summer in France during the 2016 European Championships security levels will be extremely high as the threat of terrorism remains high.
A word must also go to the security staff of Manchester United and the local police who evacuated the stadium calmly and successfully on Sunday.