MADRID (AP) Vicente del Bosque, the coach behind Spain’s glorious run of three major titles, confirmed on Monday that he is stepping down following the team’s failed attempt to retain its European Championship crown.
The Spanish football federation said that Del Bosque told federation president Angel Maria Villar that he won’t “continue at the head of the national team.”
“Vicente del Bosque marked a before and after in the history of the selection,” the federation said in a statement.
[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s EURO coverage ]
The 65-year-old coach, who told Spanish radio last week that he didn’t intend to continue, had a contract that expires this month.
Del Bosque guided Spain to the 2010 World Cup title and the 2012 European Championship, in a successful defense of its continental title won in 2008 under predecessor Luis Aragones.
No other team has won three titles in a row between European Championships and World Cups.
Spain lost 2-0 to Italy last week in the round-of-16 at Euro 2016.
That disappointment came two years after it lost its world title after failing to advance from the group stage at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
In a statement, the federation said that Del Bosque would continue working for the federation in a role that has yet to be defined.
Del Bosque coached a record 114 matches for Spain. He leaves after 87 wins, 10 draws and 17 losses.
The former Real Madrid manager is credited with taking over a winning team forged by Aragones and maintaining its “tiki-taka” passing style as the dominant force in world football.
He was generally expected to leave the post following Euro 2016 regardless the outcome.
According to Spanish media, the leading candidates to replace him include former Athletic Bilbao coach Joaquin Caparros, Spain’s former under-19 and under-21 coach Julen Lopetegui, and Rayo Vallecano’s Paco Jemez, known for his attacking style of football.