Getty Images

Deadline Day, morning roundup: Bony, Wilshere, Sissoko, Slimani, Brahimi

Leave a comment

With less than 11 hours to go until the summer transfer window slams shut, plenty of deals are in the offing around the Premier League.

On Wednesday morning players started to travel to, and around, England as clubs made their moves.

[ LIVE: Latest transfer updates ]

Below is a quick update on several key players who seem likely to be on the move at some point on Transfer Deadline Day.

You can stay up to date on all the moves as they happen via our transfer news center, here.


Jack Wilshere (Arsenal to Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Roma) – With up to 22 teams showing an interest in Wilshere, it looks like only three remain in the running. Bournemouth and Palace are battling it out for a season-long loan of Wilshere, while reports in Italy say AS Roma are fighting hard to get Wilshere on board. The 24-year-old needs to play regularly wherever he ends up ans although Palace is situated in London, close to his home, Bournemouth’s style of play would perhaps suit Wilshere more. As for Roma, it would be a change of scenery for the Englishman but the Italian giants can offer UEFA Europa League action and a new experience for Wilshere and his young family. He has already met with Alan Pardew and Eddie Howe and will decide on his loan move at some point today.

Islam Slimani (Sporting Lisbon to Leicester City) – The powerhouse striker has been given permission to leave Algerian’s national team camp to have a medical with the Foxes. It is believed Leicester have agreed a club record $39.4 million fee with Sporting for the 27-year-old. Slimani has an impressive scoring record in Portugal and at international level and would provide much-needed support for Jamie Vardy up top. A player with UEFA Champions League experience looks like he’s heading to the King Power Stadium, but the Foxes will now have to get the medical sorted ASAP to get this deal over the line.

Wilfried Bony (Manchester City to Stoke City) – Early on Deadline Day Bony tweeted the message below. Now, he’s popped up at Stoke City”s Clayton Wood training ground. It is believed the Ivorian striker is close to sealing a season-long loan move to the Potters after falling out of favor with new Man City boss Pep Guardiola. Bony is a man with something to prove and Stoke badly need a target man. Great fit for everyone if it goes through.

Manolo Gabbiadini (Napoli to Everton) – Toffees in talks with Naples based club over a $28 million move for the striker who can also play in wide positions. The 25-year-old is said to be keen on a move to Everton but Napoli want to find a replacement in the closing hours of the window before they sell. May go down to the wire.

Didier Ndong (Lorient to Sunderland) – A club record fee of $21 million has reportedly been agreed for the Gabon international with David Moyes scrambling around to sign new players. Defensive midfielder Ndong is expected to have a medical and sign today.

Bruno Martins Indi (Porto to Stoke City) – Another loan signing is at Stoke tying up the loose ends as Dutch international center back Bruno Martins Indi will join the Potters for the 2016-17 season. A star during the 2014 World Cup, Martins Indi can play at center back and left back and will add plenty of power to Stoke’s defense.

Yacine Brahimi (Porto to Everton) – Algerian winger could arrive at Goodison if the deal for Gabbiadini doesn’t get over the line. An exciting winger with UCL experience, Brahimi could cost the Toffees a club record $45 million. Looks like Ronald Koeman is expecting a busy final day of the transfer window.

Enner Valencia (West Ham United to Swansea City) – The Swans were said to be interested in Valencia earlier this summer and West Ham are willing to let the Ecuadorian international leave on loan with Simone Zaza arriving from Juventus last week. Valencia has scored just 10 goals in 64 appearances for the Hammers since arriving in the summer of 2014 after a promising World Cup.

Lamine Kone (Sunderland to Everton) – This deal could still be on as Everton placed a bid for Kone two weeks ago and the player himself handed in a transfer request. Moyes really can’t lose any players for the Black Cats but if Everton met Sunderland’s valuation of $30 million for the Ivorian center back then it may be too good an offer to turn down. Chelsea have also been sniffing around.

Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle United to Tottenham Hotspur) – This deal was all the buzz early on Deadline Day with Newcastle asking for $39.5 million for Sissoko and willing to receive five installments of $8 million for the French international. Tottenham are said to value Sissoko at around $22 million and have since cooled their interest. May they go back in late in the day?

David Luiz (Paris Saint-Germain to Chelsea) – It is reported that PSG do not want to sell Luiz even if the player wants a move back to Chelsea. Apparently Chelsea offered $39 million for Luiz late on Tuesday as they aimed to buy him back after selling him to the French champions for $62 million in 2014. The center back is a fans favorite at Stamford Bridge but it seems like this audacious bid is too little too late, however it is reported that the two clubs remain in talks.

USMNT notes: Robinson moves to Wigan, and more

Leave a comment

It’s been a busy day of U.S. Men’s National Team related news, from Tyler Boyd signing with Besiktas to U.S. Soccer announcing a friendly match with Mexico in September at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Here’s everything else you may have missed today relating to the USMNT and Americans Abroad.


Robinson joins Wigan in permanent transfer

Antonee Robinson is heading back to the Championship, but this time, he won’t be heading back to Everton at the end of the season.

Robinson on Monday completed a permanent transfer to Wigan. where he spent last season and helped the club avoid relegation. Robinson has signed a three-year contract and he joined for a reported $2.5 million transfer fee, per Wigan Today. He battled injuries to make 26 appearances in all competitions.

Robinson, born in England to an American father and British mother, came up in Everton’s Finch Farm academy but never broke through to make a first team appearance. Instead, he spent time in the lower levels on loan to Bolton and then Wigan. With Everton’s signing last year of Lucas Digne, the left back spot is locked up for quite a while, leaving Robinson second-choice and in search of first team minutes again.

For the USMNT, Robinson made his debut in the 3-0 win over Bolivia in late May, 2018, and has gone on to make seven appearances for the senior team, including a start against Jamaica, though it didn’t go well in a 1-0 defeat at home. Robinson was on the 40-man provisional Gold Cup roster for coach Gregg Berhalter and he also took part in a European-based training camp for the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team as the team starts preparing for Olympic qualifying, which will likely take place later this year.

Robinson will likely play a key role in helping the U.S. make it to their first Olympics since 2008 in Beijing.


Reyna heading to USA with Borussia Dortmund

Claudio Reyna’s son Giovanni Reyna is off to a strong start after officially being announced as a signing by Borussia Dortmund. Whether for marketing reasons or sporting reasons, Reyna was one of the 26 players to make the flight to Seattle as Dortmund takes some preseason action in the U.S.

BVB will face the Seattle Sounders in Seattle on Thursday before heading to take on Liverpool in South Bend, Indiana on Saturday.

It’s a quick burst in the U.S., but perhaps Reyna can get a few minutes of action in his home nation before heading back to Germany to try and see if he can break into the squad.


Scott set for Newcastle? 

British-born American midfielder Kyle Scott appears that he will still be on the books at a Premier League club next season.

According to multiple reports, including the Newcastle Chronicle, Newcastle FC is interested in signing Scott, thanks to a reported recommendation from former coach Rafa Benitez. Scott, 21, has spent the past 12 years in Chelsea’s academy and reserves, but he’s hardly sniffed a match, at least for the first team. He spent some time on loan with Dutch second-division side Telstar last year, but it wasn’t declared permanent.

Now, having been let go by Chelsea, Scott is looking for a new club. It’s unclear, however, considering his lack of first team experience, if he’d be able to step into the lineup at Newcastle and really make a difference so soon.

In the past, Scott has appeared for the U.S. Under-18s and U-20s. Perhaps some regular playing time in the Premier League can get him into the senior national team.

Watch: Hear from Bournemouth’s Howe in training

Leave a comment

Ever wondered what it is like to go through preseason training with a Premier League?

Thanks to AFC Bournemouth, now we know.

[ MORE: Premier League schedule ]

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe was “mic’d up” during a preseason training session on Monday, giving fans an inside look into his team gaining fitness and going over some key movements that they’ll surely be using during games this season.

Plus….players biking to practice and the dreaded beep test.

Here from Howe and the players above and take a look at a Premier League preseason.

Dietrich quits as club president of crisis-hit Stuttgart

Getty Images
Leave a comment

STUTTGART, Germany (AP) Wolfgang Dietrich quit as president of German second-division team Stuttgart on Monday after saying he no longer wants to be made a scapegoat for all that’s wrong at the crisis-ridden club.

The 70-year-old Dietrich, who took over as president in October 2016 and whose term was due to run until 2020, said he never expected such “hostility and malice” as he experienced at the club’s annual general meeting on Sunday.

[READ: Tyler Boyd signs with Besiktas]

The AGM had to be cancelled after about 4,500 members were unable to vote for the club’s management board because of Wi-Fi problems. Dietrich broke off the meeting to loud jeers and protests and was accompanied by bodyguards from the interior of the stadium.

Dietrich said he no longer wants to “be in charge of an organization that is neither willing to stand up to these interests against me nor is able to guarantee the smooth running of a general meeting.”

Dietrich was already under fire for his links to investment company Quattrex Sports, which provided loans to several of Stuttgart’s rivals. In his 3+ years at the club, Stuttgart has had three coaches, two sporting directors and was relegated from the Bundesliga last season.

Should Tottenham sign or pass on Bale?

Getty Images
3 Comments

Tottenham just broke its transfer record with the signing of Tanguay Ndombele. Could it break the bank for a second time this summer?

However unlikely that could be, Spanish publication Marca reports that Tottenham has continued to express interest in bringing Gareth Bale back to White Hart Lane and Northwest London. The report states that Tottenham is willing to spend between $56 and $67.6 million to sign Bale but that it could not afford Bale’s $19 million yearly salary after tax. Even more, it could only afford to pay half of that, or $9.5 million per season.

[READ: Fabian Delph moves to Everton]

There’s no doubt that, on paper at least, Bale would improve Tottenham’s squad and could potentially even immediately step into the starting lineup. But that’s assuming Tottenham could sign him anyway.

It seemed unlikely just a few weeks ago, after Daniel Levy and the club went an entire calendar year without spending money on a new player, that it could spend more than $100 million on two players to improve the squad. But perhaps now, with television revenues growing and more seats to sell at Tottenham’s new stadium, Levy feels he can spend big this summer to take Tottenham to the next level.

Whether due to luck or not, Tottenham took advantage of its opportunity and manager Mauricio Pochettino did a masterful job guiding the club to the UEFA Champions League final. But to challenge Manchester City at the head of the Premier League, it’s going to take a talent like Bale coming in.

That being said, that are the chances that Bale, who turns 30 on Tuesday, can dramatically regain his fitness after years of recurring injuries, are low. So the big question now is, is it worth it for Tottenham to spend more than $60 million on re-signing Bale, and is it worth it for Bale to leave, instead of getting to stay on his salary for the next three seasons.

Bale’s agent Jonathan Barrett has long stated his client wants to retire in Madrid. It’s seeming less likely by the day, and yet, as Bale doesn’t move, perhaps he’ll call it quits ahead of schedule, and turn down a chance to return to Tottenham.