Ex-South American soccer boss from FIFA scandal loses privileges

Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images
0 Comments

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) A court in Paraguay has annulled a permit that allowed Nicolas Leoz, the former president of South America’s soccer confederation, to work once a week outside of his home while under house arrest.

Leoz is awaiting extradition to the United States, where he has been charged in a corruption scandal being investigated by the U.S. Justice Department. The 88-year-old has been under house arrest in the Paraguayan capital since 2015.

[ MORE: Bradley speaks to JPW

Leoz’s lawyer said his client had been authorized since August to leave his home to visit his office as well as an artificial sweetener plant that he owns in the outskirts of Asuncion. The local court revoked the permit on Tuesday.

Attorney Raul Barriocanal says Leoz will still be allowed to leave his home for medical appointments.