Man United’s Jose Mourinho gets touchline ban

Getty Images

Manchester United’s manager Jose Mourinho has been handed a one-game touchline ban.

[ MORE: United’s Europa squad ]

Mourinho, 53, was sent off at half time of United’s 0-0 draw with Burnley at Old Trafford on Saturday for launching a verbal attack at referee Mark Clattenburg and had to watch the second half from the stands.

He will now have to watch the game against Swansea City this Sunday (Watch live, 10 a.m. ET on CNBC and online via from somewhere other than the Liberty Stadium.

In a separate charge, Mourinho was also handed a £50,000 fine in relation to comments he made about referee Anthony Taylor before United’s game against Liverpool last month.

It has not been a good week or so for Mourinho.

With United winning just one of their last seven Premier League games and plenty of superstars such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba and Wayne Rooney out of form, the problems are starting to pile up for the Portuguese coach.

He is of course no stranger to FA fines and bans, as he was handed a one-game touchline ban last December when in charge of Chelsea, plus fined on numerous occasions for comments about referees.

Below is a brief statement from the FA on both of Mourinho’s charges and the subsequent action they’ve taken.

Jose Mourinho has been fined £50,000 in relation to media comments he made prior to Manchester United’s game at Liverpool on 17 October 2016.

An Independent Regulatory Commission heard that Mourinho accepted the comments he made on 14 October 2016 constituted improper conduct but denied they brought the game into disrepute, in contravention of Rule E3(1).

The Commission found the disrepute element of the charge proven and as well as being fined, Mourinho was warned as to his future conduct.

Separate to this, Mourinho will serve an immediate one-match touchline ban after he admitted using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official and accepted the standard penalty.

The incident happened in or around the tunnel area during half-time of United’s game against Burnley on 30 October 2016.

As well as the suspension, the standard penalty for this breach of FA Rule E3 also includes an £8,000 fine.