Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester City: Yaya returns with brace-bagging vigor

1 Comment
  • Toure scores early, late
  • Wickham for Palace
  • City reclaims first
  • Yaya Toure returned with a vengeance, scoring twice in his first Premier League start under Pep Guardiola and lifting Manchester City back atop the table with a 2-1 win at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

    City is level with Liverpool on points and goal differential, but could be passed by Chelsea for the Premier League lead on Sunday.

    Connor Wickham scored the only goal for Palace, which is a single point shy of the drop zone.

    [ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

    Palace kept some of the ball in the very early stages, but City settled into possession by the 20 minute mark. Raheem Sterling did some electrifying work down the right, only to see his inviting pass cleared out by Palace.

    City keeper Claudio Bravo went untested during that first stanza, and Yohan Cabaye‘s promising free kick wasn’t redirected toward the Chilean backstop.

    Vincent Kompany was a surprise start, albeit not as eye-opening as Toure, and had to leave in the first half. He collided with Bravo and later couldn’t carry on, emotionally departing the pitch.

    [ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

    [ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

    Palace dodged a red card when Jason Puncheon chopped down a charging Pablo Zabaleta away from the play, but referee Bobby Madley and his crew didn’t see the event.

    The game took an energetic turn as the Eagles found their footing, with Bravo making a fantastic save on a powerful Christian Benteke header in the 56th minute. Benteke then headed a following corner, but the City line stopped the opportunity.

    City then had a possible goal of its own taken off the line when Joel Ward cleared Sergio Aguero’s chance off the line, and Wickham responded on the counter when Bravo could only manage a piece of his counter effort. The halftime sub faked a shot to freeze Zabaleta just enough to get a shot away.

    A hard cross from Kevin De Bruyne then found Raheem Sterling, but caught the Englishman off his belly and flew outside the near post.

    Another corner arrived only for Kolarov’s underhit redirection to be collected by Wayne Hennessey.

    Puncheon nearly made it 2-2 in the seventh minute of five minutes stoppage (you read that right), but his poked bounced wide of the frame.