Southampton 3-1 Crystal Palace: Saints score late, often

Getty Images
  • Goals from Redmond, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse for Saints
  • Benteke gave Palace first half lead
  • Saints up to ninth in table
  • Palace one point above drop
  • Southampton beat Crystal Palace 3-1 at St Mary’s on Wednesday to push themselves into the top 10.

    Palace took the lead through Christian Benteke but Saints equalized right on half time through Nathan Redmond and then two late goals from Maya Yoshida and James Ward-Prowse sealed victory for the home side.

    With the win Claude Puel‘s men climb to ninth place and have 37 points, while Palace remain on 31 points and in the relegation scrap.

    [ MORE: Watch full PL match replays

    Saints went close as Shane Long‘s shot was tipped wide by Wayne Hennessey but Palace responded well with Christian Benteke just failing to finish a chance from a corner and then Luka Milivojevic’s free kick was just off target.

    Southampton went close to taking the lead as Redmond’s header was pushed just wide by Hennessey.

    [ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

    Palace did take the lead on the half hour mark with Andros Townsend putting in a perfect cross for Benteke to tap home from close range to round off a wonderful move. 1-0 to Palace.

    Before the break Saints had two penalty shouts with Dusan Tadic appealing for a handball against Jeffrey Schlupp and then Shane Long was bundled over in the box.

    Saints did level right on half time with James Ward-Prowse’s fine cross into the box finished off by Redmond clinically. 1-1. Game on.

    [ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

    Southampton started the second half well and Long went close as he dinked an effort just over the onrushing Hennesey after Tadic’s pass and had another well saved.

    Palace went agonizingly close to retaking the lead as Martin Kelly‘s shot hit the post and Wilfred Zaha smashed the rebound wide.

    [ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score

    Two pieces of heroic defending on the line then denied Saints from taking the lead as Damien Delaney and Mamadou Sakho cleared superbly.

    But late on Saints finally broke through as Yoshida put them 2-1 up in the 84th minute and a minute later Ward-Prowse added another to make it 3-1.

    Game. Set. Match.