Klopp slams ‘idiots’ who attacked Man City team bus

Getty Images
1 Comment

Jurgen Klopp is not happy with a small section of alleged Liverpool fans who lined the streets outside of Anfield on Wednesday and then threw objects at Manchester City’s team bus as they arrived for their UEFA Champions League quarterfinal first leg.

[ MORE: Kane injury update ]

UEFA have sanctioned Liverpool for the damage caused (City’s bus was unusable and had to be replaced for the return journey as bottles, flares and other objects smashed windows) as a video has also emerged from a member of Guardiola’s coaching staff inside the bus showing the full extent of the attack.

As you can see from this video, it was not just one or two bottles thrown.

Speaking about the incident ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Everton on Saturday for the Merseyside Derby (Watch live, 7:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com), here’s what an unimpressed Klopp had to say.

“I have to say apologies again for how things happened before the game,” Klopp said.”It’s so strange. You go with your own bus through the crowd and it feels fantastic and it’s great. It’s support, it’s passion. We come into the stadium and the first thing I heard was they had smashed the bus of Manchester City and it kills everything. You can’t feel it anymore. You give everyone the opportunity to do something good and because of a few idiots it might never happen again.”

Yeah, Klopp is spot on here.

The scenes which greeted Liverpool’s players were phenomenal.

Liverpool’s fans lined the bus route (which had been released ahead of team and changed slightly from the normal route) just as they’ve done for many other big European and league games in recent years with flares, flags and chanting in the streets.

But from first-hand accounts of what happened, it appears that until this situation can be made safer for fans and the teams involved then it will not happen again.

That’s a huge shame and like Klopp said, “a few idiots” have ruined things.