Report: Griezmann cannot announce Barca move until July 1

Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
0 Comments

Maybe Thomas Lemar’s proposed move bodes well for Antoine Griezmann’s future at Atletico Madrid.

Then again maybe his French teammate’s future doesn’t have anything to do with his status, but a soon-to-be changing release clause.

[ MORE: PST’s big World Cup roundtable ]

And thanks to Griezmann’s breaking his plan to declare his club future before the World Cup, we seemingly won’t have clarity until at least July 1.

Griezmann, 27, had been whispered as a transfer target of nearly every big club on Earth for several seasons, with Barcelona the latest and most often linked to the Frenchman.

But Griezmann said Tuesday he had nothing to announce, and Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo says that’s because Barcelona, Atleti, and the player are waiting for July 1, when his release clause changes from $267 million to $133.5 million.

“Think about the clause and you’ll have the solution to the riddle,” a source said.

Mundo Deportivo claims that Griezmann would lock Barcelona into the $267m figure if he were to make the announcement before the first.