Report: Wayne Rooney agrees to three-year D.C. deal

Getty Images
3 Comments

Wayne Rooney continues to edge closer to completing his move to D.C. United in Major League Soccer, as the Everton forward is said to have been told he’s not needed by new Toffees boss Marco Silva.

Rooney, 32, flew out to D.C. last month to tour the club and he has been in talks with the MLS side about arriving in early July when the transfer window re-opens in North America’s top-flight.

A report from the Daily Mirror in the UK claims that Rooney is “furious” after “being told he is not in Marco Silva’s plans.”

Per the report, Rooney doesn’t seem to keen on a move to MLS but it appears he will be nothing more than a bit-part player under Silva, who was officially unveiled on June 4. During his opening press conference Silva, along with new director of football Marcel Brands, spoke about Rooney’s move to DCU almost being completed but that they would sit down with him and let him decide what he wants to do.

It appears that talk didn’t go the way Rooney wanted it to…

With Rooney’s return to his boyhood club set to last for just one season after his glittering, record-breaking career with Manchester United and England, there is an air of disappointment within the blue half of Merseyside as to how this has played out.

Rooney can still hold his head high after leading Everton’s scoring charts (11 goals in all competitions) in a troubled 2017/18 campaign which initially saw them battling relegation with Ronald Koeman fired, then Sam Allardyce moving them into midtable but defensive tactics cost Big Sam his job at the end of the season.

Silva is known to prefer young, speedy attackers and Rooney isn’t that, and he hasn’t been that for quite some time. He could still score and contribute from a deeper position but it appears he won’t get that chance at Everton.

Now he’s on his way to MLS.