Many players ticketed for new locales stayed put past Thursday’s Premier League summer transfer deadline.
[ MORE: Full list of Thursday’s deals ]
While Eden Hazard staying at Chelsea is no doubt huge, it only affected one Premier League club. Here are five moves which could’ve swung momentum for two clubs in England.
5. Jordan Pickford stays put at Everton — The English backstop saved the Toffees’ proverbial bacon on many occasions last season, and was a massive part of England’s World Cup run. The only question is how he fares when not under siege for the first time in four years.
4. Willian doesn’t get Mourinho reunion, stays at Chelsea — There’s a chance that Maurizio Sarri won’t be able to keep the Brazilian happy at Stamford Bridge, but that’s difficult to believe given his history of exciting play at Napoli.
3. Man Utd fails to land Harry Maguire, who stays with Leicester City — Rumors of a world record move to Manchester United did not materialize for the defender, which doesn’t shore up the Red Devils’ back line and keeps Leicester steady in a window which already saw Riyad Mahrez skip town.
2. Ruben Loftus-Cheek not leaving Chelsea on loan — Let’s hope Sarri has plans for the young Englishman, who was rock solid when healthy for Palace last season.
- Wilfried Zaha staying at Crystal Palace — This was huge, even looking beyond Crystal Palace’s 0-9 record when the Ivorian winger doesn’t suit up for the Eagles. He’s a game-changing forward, and would’ve potentially been the biggest attack to swap homes this summer.