Lionel Messi is the winner of FIFA’s The Best men’s player, awarded Monday in Milan.
The prolific megastar beat out Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk and Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo for the honor.
All three, of course, were on the Best XI, though it was not without controversy.
[ MORE: Rapinoe, Ellis headline women’s winners ]
Premier League champions Manchester City had no representation on FIFA’s The Best XI, which comically included three Real Madrid players.
Real Madrid, La Liga’s third place side, put Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, and Luka Modric on the team, as well as Eden Hazard who spent most of the awards season with Chelsea.
Juve’s Ronaldo is joined by Matthijs de Ligt, who led Ajax’s long UCL run before leaving for Turin.
Kylian Mbappe helps shut the attacks of Man City and Liverpool out of the team. Not one player from Germany or the Bundesliga was named to the team.
- Alisson Becker (BRA) – Liverpool
- Matthijs de Ligt (NED) – Ajax / Juventus
- Sergio Ramos (ESP) – Real Madrid
- Virgil van Dijk (NED) – Liverpool
- Marcelo (BRA) – Real Madrid
- Luka Modric (CRO) – Real Madrid
- Frenkie de Jong (NED) – Ajax/Barcelona
- Eden Hazard (BEL) – Chelsea/ Real Madrid
- Cristiano Ronaldo (POR) – Juventus
- Kylian Mbappe (FRA) – Paris Saint-Germain
- Lionel Messi (ARG) – Barcelona