It has been announced that the 2020 Copa America tournament has been postponed as soccer’s governing body in South America have followed UEFA’s lead.
Moments after EURO 2020 was postponed and moved to the summer of 2021, the Copa America tournament will follow suit. The tournament was due to be held in Argentina and Colombia from June 12 to July 12 this summer but the plan is now to play the tournament in the summer of 2021 from June 11 to July 11.
With so many of South America’s top players currently playing in Europe, which is now the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, this decision had to come before players tried to return home to Brazil, Argentina and beyond.
More coronavirus connections to soccer:
- EURO 2020 postponed until the summer of 2021.
- Which soccer leagues are still playing?
- Mason Mount breaks self-isolation and ‘reminded of responsibilities’ by Chelsea.
- The Premier League has postponed play through at least April 3. Aston Villa’s chief executive called it “a very good decision” while Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said we must “protect each other.”
- CONCACAF has suspended play for a month, while UEFA postponed all fixtures next week ahead of a meeting to discuss plans for both club and international European competitions including the Champions League and Europa League.
- Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi is the first Premier League player to test positive for coronavirus.
- Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested posted for coronavirus and the players and staff at the club are self-isolating.
- MLS announced its 2020 season is suspended for at least 30 days.
- Three Leicester City players are in self-isolation after displaying symptoms of coronavirus.
- Real Madrid players in isolation and La Liga games suspended for the next two weeks after Real basketball player tests positive for coronavirus.
- Serie A is considering alternative ways to conclude its scudetto and relegation races, including playoffs or the non-awarding of a champion.
- Juventus confirm that their defender Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.