The United Soccer League is prolonging its season suspension of the USL Championship and delaying the start of USL League One.
The Championship was originally suspended for 30 days in the wake of the coronavirus. That’s been extended through May 10, while the third-tier League One was set to begin March 27.
Wednesday’s move signals a shift that could reverberate in American soccer, as it explicitly cites the Center for Disease Control’s weekend recommendation not to gather in groups of more than 50 for eight weeks.
[ MORE: Previewing the USL season ]
League One postpones seven match days, while the Championship stands to miss out on nine total match days.
We will continue to monitor ongoing events, receive guidance from local, state and national health authorities, and participate in a national task force comprised of other professional sports leagues and organizations from around the country.
The USL announcing a move like this independent of Major League Soccer is interesting, especially as numerous national and regional leagues eye their summer calendars in suspense.
The CDC guidelines may loom large, and the USL has set a precedent in wisely following them.
[ MORE: Premier League schedule ]
More coronavirus connections to soccer:
- Chelsea, Gary Neville offer free hotels to NHS medical staff, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic starts fundraising page for Italian intensive care units.
- FIFA released a statement on coronavirus.
- EURO 2020 postponed to the summer of 2021.
- Juventus confirm that World Cup-winning midfielder Blaise Matuidi has joined defender Daniele Rugani in testing positive for coronavirus.
- Manager Frank Lampard says Hudson-Odoi is nearly back to his usual self.
- England’s FA considering bailouts for smaller clubs hit by coronavirus.
- Mason Mount breaks self-isolation and ‘reminded of responsibilities’ by Chelsea.
- The Premier League has postponed play through at least April 3. Aston Villa’s chief executive called it “a very good decision” while Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said we must “protect each other.”
- CONCACAF has suspended play for a month, while UEFA postponed all fixtures next week ahead of a meeting to discuss plans for both club and international European competitions including the Champions League and Europa League.
- MLS announced its 2020 season is suspended for at least 30 days.
- Three Leicester City players are in self-isolation after displaying symptoms of coronavirus.
- Real Madrid players in isolation and La Liga games suspended for the next two weeks after Real basketball player tests positive for coronavirus.
- Serie A is considering alternative ways to conclude its scudetto and relegation races, including playoffs or the non-awarding of a champion.