Manchester City puts it together late against Porto

Manchester City - Porto
Photo by Paul Ellis - Pool/Getty Images

Manchester City – Porto: Man City overcame an early hiccup to beat Porto 3-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday in the first match of its 2020-21 UEFA Champions League campaign.

Luis Diaz gave Porto a lead but City quickly answered before pulling away in the second half.

[ MORE: Liverpool beats Ajax on o.g. ]

Sergio Aguero’s 40th Champions League goal leveled the score before a stylish Ilkay Gundogan free kick and pretty Ferran Torres dribble put the game to bed.

Three things we learned from Manchester City – Porto

1. Autopilot is still fine: Look, Man City in the Champions League is all about the knockout rounds and City is too good to worry about qualifying. Maybe clubs who play them twice a year will have answers, but Porto couldn’t keep the ball and needed a pretty bad error and delightful bit of technique to open the scoring.

2. The future winks: Silky interplay between Phil Foden and Ferran Torres recalled what we’ve seen so many times between David Silva and Raheem Sterling as City put the game away with a dynamite goal late.

3. Fernandinho injury one to watch: The Brazilian came off in the 90th minute for John Stones, and his steel still matters to City’s biggest goals (especially in this competition).

Man of the Match


Manchester City – Porto recap

Porto took a surprise lead after a Ruben Dias pass was intercepted by Mateus Uribe, who quickly found Diaz for a rapid, powerful dribble left to right across the top of the box before firing across goal and inside the far post.

City snapped to life with a drive into the 18 of their own, Raheem Sterling blocked by Pepe after a pair of close calls. It withstood a long check by VAR and Aguero hammered his penalty through the keeper’s dive.

The scares weren’t over for City, as Kyle Walker needed a goal line clearances to keep it 1-1 at the break.

Agustin Marchesin flew left to stop an Ilkay Gundogan hammer as the match approached the hour mark.

City stood over a free kick from just off-center and beyond the arc in the 65th. Gundogan buried it.

Torres and Foden worked a 1-2 with the Spaniard doing the heavy lifting to hit the final goal of the game.