Clive Rose/Getty Images

Transfer news: Arsenal, Liverpool aim for Draxler move; Can to Juventus?

Leave a comment

January is closer than it may seem, and that means transfer rumors are swirling once again. Although, they never really stop.

[ MORE: NYCFC cuts ties with 11 players, including Brillant and White ]

Here are some of Monday’s top stories as Premier League sides look into their options for the winter.


Julian Draxler has seen his role diminished since the Neymar’s arrival at the Parc des Princes this summer, and now the German could look for a revival in England this January.

The Mirror is reporting that Arsenal and Liverpool could vie for the PSG man’s services during the winter transfer window, as both clubs look to further bolster their attacks.

With Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil’s futures hanging in the balance at Arsenal, the Gunners could turn to Draxler as a suitable replacement at winger.

Meanwhile, the Reds already have a plethora of young talent in their front group, including Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, and the addition of Draxler would provide further depth if Philippe Coutinho‘s exit rumors persist.


Liverpool could see one of its midfielders leave Anfield soon, as Emre Can is garnering interest from Serie A.

Italian giant Juventus is said to have interest in Can, with Tuttosport reporting that the two parties have already agreed to terms for the 25-year-old to arrive in Turin next summer.

Can’s current deal with the Reds is scheduled to expire after the 2017/18 season, which would make him a free agent at that point.


Barcelona continues to look at options to help further its attack this winter, and while Coutinho’s name continues to fly around, a Tottenham player could be the solution the Blaugrana have been looking for.

Don Balon is reporting that Barca is eyeing up a move for Spurs midfielder Christian Eriksen, despite the club’s interest in Coutinho and Mesut Ozil.

Transfer news: Coutinho to PSG; Meunier to Man United

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Paris Saint-Germain have made Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho their top target for next summer, according to TF1.

[ MORE: Morata unhappy in London? ]

The French outlet claim that Coutinho’s agent, Kia Joorabchian, met PSG’s sporting director in a London hotel last week to discuss the future of Coutinho among many other topics.

As the report points out, the fact that Coutinho’s good friend Neymar signed for PSG in a world-record $265 million transfer from Barcelona in the summer could play a key part in the Brazilian midfielder joining PSG over Barca.

Coutinho made his intentions clear in the summer that he wanted to leave Liverpool for Barcelona but with the Reds standing firm and rejecting multiple bids from the Catalan giants, it appears an all-out battle between PSG and Barcelona next summer could see Coutinho’s transfer fee increase further.

Liverpool’s stance will likely remain that Coutinho isn’t for sale at any price, but the other issue here is simply how PSG can get away with this.

Already accused of wrongdoing by many other clubs across Europe when it comes to UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules and the signings of Kylian Mbappe and Neymar over the summer, spending close to another $180 million on Coutinho would surely tip PSG over the edge of FFP regulations despite their Qatari owners able to bankroll any deal PSG need.

Liverpool fans have been treated to some stunners from Coutinho this season (see: free kick at Leicester; powerful curler at Newcastle) but despite him getting on with his business on the pitch the Brazilian continues to be at the center of speculation off it.


Staying with PSG, their Belgian right back Thomas Meunier is wanted by Real Madrid, Juventus and Manchester United, according to reports in Spain and Italy.

Meunier, 26, is said to be valued at around $40 million and the Belgian international has fallen behind Dani Alves in the pecking order at the Parc des Princes this season, much to his annoyance.

Speaking in a recent interview the former Club Brugge man revealed he was fine with rotating with Serge Aurier at right back for PSG last season but now feels totally out of Unai Emery’s plans.

“Since Alves arrived I asked myself questions, this is sure,” Meunier said. “After the good season I had last year, I told myself I would be needed, to be a bit more grateful and that my status within the line-up had changed. Emery tells me he didn’t forget the work done and that he considers me. The problem is that I feel like a second option.”

Outside of veterans Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young (who are wingers by trade) playing at right back, Mourinho’s other options in that position include an often shaky Matteo Darmian or playing center backs Phil Jones or Eric Bailly at right back.

Meunier’s ability to drive forward from right back and connect passes and whip in inviting crosses would be very useful for a United attack spearheaded by Romelu Lukaku or Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Mourinho was on the hunt for a wide player all summer long but didn’t prevail.

Is Meunier the man for Mourinho? In a World Cup year, perhaps Meunier will arrive at Old Trafford in January.

Transfer news: Gareth Bale to Man United; Keane to Liverpool

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Gareth Bale will sign for Manchester United this summer if they qualify for the UEFA Champions League, according to reports in Diario Gol.

[ MORE: Gilmour signs for Chelsea ]

The report states that Real’s president, Florentino Perez, has become increasingly impatient with Bale’s injury issues and will be allowed to leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer.

Bale, 27, was said to be close to joining United in the summer of 2013 when he moved to Real from Tottenham Hotspur for a then world-record transfer fee but instead joined Real and he’s had incredible success over the past four seasons.

The Welsh international has suffered recurring calf injuries in recent weeks which saw him limp out of the El Clasico defeat to Barcelona last month. Bale has scored nine times in 24 starts for Real Madrid this season but if he fancies a move back to the Premier League after two UEFA Champions League titles in three full seasons in Spain, then now could be a good time as he’d surely be United’s main attacking threat up top with Paul Pogba, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Co. feeding him plenty of chances.

It would take a huge sum to sign Bale but United have the cash, but could they sign both Bale and Antoine Griezmann this summer? Bale is perhaps the next in line at Real to become the main man after Cristiano Ronaldo but with the Portuguese superstar showing no signs of slowing down, perhaps Bale is thinking about moving to United and being the undisputed top dog.


A report in the Daily Mirror claims that Liverpool are winning the race to sign Man United product Michael Keane from Burnley for $32 million.

[ MORE: Premier League permutations ]

Keane, 24, has become one of the most sought after defenders in the Premier League as the United academy product is expected to leave Turf Moor this summer with just a year left on his contract.

After recently making his England debut and excelling, the powerfully poised center back has a host of offers with United, Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea all said to be monitoring his situation closely. However, the report states that Klopp has made Keane his top defensive target this summer as he looks to rebuild a defense which has once again flattered to deceive this season.

With many stating that Virgil Van Dijk is Liverpool’s main defensive target, Southampton’s center back is reportedly valued at over $65 million by Saints. That’s double the price of Keane.

Keane is able to play in either a traditional four-man defense or as part of a three-man backline and his ability to bring the ball out of defense has seen him win many admirers. It must be noted that Keane is a born and bred Manchester United fan, along with his family, so him signing for United’s bitter rivals Liverpool would certainly raise plenty of eyebrows.

The big factor for Keane is that wherever he goes this summer he has to be a regular. Will he get that at United or Liverpool? Maybe. But if he was to sign for a club like Leicester City (who he joined on loan from United in the past), Everton or Southampton then he’d obviously be a regular straight away. Keane has excelled at Burnley after playing regularly in each of the last two seasons and his decision over where he goes next should be all about where he will play the most.

Transfer news: Renato to Man United; $50 million Batshuayi to West Ham

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Benfica teenager Renato Sanches could cost Manchester United $60 million this summer and the Portuguese youngster is already preparing for his move.

[ MORE: Mourinho to wait? ]

According to Record in Portugal, Sanches is “prepared and excited” about a move to United and knows a deal is being discussed about a move this summer. It is believed the deal could cost in excess of $80 million when all is said and done.

The 18-year-old box-to-box midfielder is one of the hottest properties on the planet and despite Louis Van Gaal‘s struggling to get into the UEFA Champions League for next season, it still won’t stop them splashing some serious cash on Sanches. Plus, it worked out pretty well for United the last time they signed a teenager from Portugal… (ahem, Cristiano Ronaldo).


Another big money move, and a surprising one at that, could see West Ham United move for Belgian striker Michy Batshuayi.

The Guardian believes that the Hammers have put in a bid in excess of $50 million for the Marseille striker who has scored 16 Ligue 1 goals this season. He is 22-years-old and it is believed Slaven Bilic wanted to sign him in January but was told he wouldn’t be available until the summer.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ]  

With the 2016 European Championships coming up, Batshuayi should be included in Marc Wilmots’ 23-man Belgian squad but will face competition to get into the team from the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi and Christian Benteke. Like the aforementioned trio, Batshuayi is a powerful striker who can hold the ball up but is also able to get in-behind opposition defenses.

West Ham have enjoyed great success in plucking Dimitri Payet from Marseille for $15 million last summer but they will likely face competition from Juventus, Roma, Borussia Dortmund and others for the Belgian’s signature.


The Daily Mail claims that new Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has earmarked Gonzalo Higuain as his main transfer target this summer.

Higuain, 28, has been in fine form for Napoli this season, scoring 34 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions. Per the report, the Argentine striker is said to be concerned of playing second fiddle to Diego Costa at Stamford Bridge. However, if Costa is moved on with lucrative offers from China reportedly lined up, then Higuain could provide the goals to kick off Conte’s reign in west London.

The former Real Madrid striker has scored 223 goals in 451 career games and has 25 goals in 52 games for Argentina. It is clear Conte wants to stamp his authority on this team and with Costa scoring just 11 times this season, getting in a goal-machine will be the biggest target for the new Chelsea boss. Higuain will cost Chelsea over $60 million.

Tuesday’s Transfer news: Bale scared of Man United; Remy, Lacazette to Magpies

Leave a comment

According to a report in the Independent Gareth Bale has “seriously considered” signing for Manchester United in the past but the Real Madrid superstar is concerned about the current turmoil at Old Trafford.

[ MORE: LVG’s time up?

Bale, 26, was reportedly subject of a world record $150 million bid in the summer but decided against leaving the Spanish capital. However if Louis Van Gaal was to leave — the Dutch boss has almost hit rock bottom after being booed off on Saturday following a home defeat to Southampton — and Jose Mourinho or another big-name manager arrived with a long-term plan to build the team around Bale, the former Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur star would reconsider. It has long been known that United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is obsessed with signing a player who can be a Ballon d’Or contender, and Bale would certainly fit the bill as he’s just coming into his prime.

The Welsh forward is currently injured after yet another calf injury, and his club are in a spot of bother with a transfer ban coming up for the next two transfer windows after this month, meaning no new players could be signed. If they fail in an appeal of that transfer ban, can they really afford to sell Bale?

The man who signed for Real in 2013 for a world record fee of $132 million — and a recent release of previously confidential contract information says Spurs have the option to match any transfer bid made for Bale —  has said many times he is happy at the Santiago Bernabeu but it seems like if Bale wants a return to England then United would be his top destination. Provided they sort themselves out, of course.
Sunderland are said to be chasing Swansea City’s Ghanaian forward Andre Ayew hard. Ayew, 26, scored in Swansea’s 2-1 win at Everton on Sunday and according to The Guardian a bid of $15 million, plus Italian striker Fabio Borini was turned down. The Swans not wanting to sell their leading scorer — Ayew has eight goals in his debut Premier League season after arriving from Marseille — to a direct relegation rival is probably the main stumbling block here.

[ MORE: Crucial stretch arrives for Bradley, Le Havre ] 

Another North East club is on the lookout for a new striker with the Evening Chronicle claiming that Newcastle United could offer Chelsea’s Loic Remy the chance to return to St James’ Park on loan… but only if the Blues sign Alexandre Pato during the final week of the window. Remy, 29, spent a season on loan with the Magpies in 2013-14 and scored 14 goals in 26 games before returning to parent club Queens Park Rangers and then on to Chelsea.

Manager Steve McClaren, who has already signed Henri Saivet, Jonjo Shelvey  in January and is on the brink of adding Andros Townsend, clearly wants to bolster his striking options because another report, this time from the Telegraph, claims that Alexandre Lacazette is keen on a move to the Magpies. Lacazette, 24, had previously said he wants to move to the Premier League but it became apparent the French striker didn’t fancy a move to Newcastle and Lyon were eager to keep hold of him and sell him in the summer.

However, it appears he may have changed his mind and the man who has spent his entire career at Lyon — scoring 78 goals in 210 outings — could follow in the footsteps of many of his countrymen in using Newcastle as a stepping stone, plus also becoming one of their highest-paid players in the process. Newcastle need goals and signing Lacazettte for a figure of around $30 million would be a major coup if it happens in the coming days. More than likely Lacazette will be on the move this summer.