David Marshall

Photo by Mark Fletcher/MI News/NurPhoto via Getty Images

USMNT left back Robinson making waves with Wigan

1 Comment

There’s a good chance that the United States men’s national team secured its right back of the future when Ajax defender Sergino Dest announced his decision to forego a possible switch to the Netherlands.

Is the USMNT’s long-sought answer at left back springing forth about 550 miles away in England?

[ MORE: Dest a win for Berhalter ]

Antonee Robinson, 22, left Everton for Wigan Athletic this summer following a terrific loan stint, and is now thriving in his second season with the Football League Championship side. His 1237 league minutes trail only veteran goalkeeper David Marshall.

Robinson is averaging 2.6 tackles and two interceptions per game show a steadiness without the ball, but the bell-ringing stat is his 26 successful dribbles. That’s a Top Ten figure in the league, just behind Jack Harrison and sea of attacking minds.

He wanted to it to happen at Everton, but his path was blocked by the club’s Player of the Season (Lucas Digne) and its player of the last 10 years (Leighton Baines).

“It’s a shame, because you’re sat watching training when you want to be joining in, but that’s football,” Robinson said. “There’s only so long you can wait. They brought in Lucas (Digne) in my position who was probably their best player last season and they had Bainesy who is one of the best left-backs to have played in the Premier League. I had to come here and play. Get thrown in and either sink or swim.”

He admits his $2.5 million move to Wigan is meant to earn him a place back in the big time. If he can manufacture another few months like this, that may happen this summer if the Latics cannot get promoted (They sit nine points back of the last playoff spot).

Playmaking left backs who can handle their defensive responsibilities are worth a lot more than what Wigan paid, and the profit would be welcome.

Euro 2020 qualifying: Germany routs Estonia, Belgium knocks off Scotland (video)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Euro 2020 qualifying wrapped up for the summer on Tuesday, but not before some wild scorelines and impressive results.

Here is a rundown of the top matches:

[READ: USWNT thrashes Thailand in World Cup opener]

Germany 8-0 Estonia

Like Thailand for the U.S. Women’s National Team, Germany had its way on the field against Estonia at the Opel Arena in Mainz, Germany, as Die Manschafft rolled to an 8-0 victory. Estonia’s backline was too easily broken and was too weak to stand up to Germany’s strong attack, which found a way to score from close range time and time again. The match was punctuated with Marco Reus’ terrific free kick in the 37th minute, giving Germany its first five-goal first half since the famous 7-1 over Brazil in the 2014 World Cup semifinals. Leroy Sane late put the finishing touches with a quick strike that took Estonia’s goalkeeper Sergei Lepmets by surprise. Sane’s teammate Ilkay Gundogan also scored, along with a brace from former Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry and a goal each for Timo Werner and Leon Goretzka. With the win, Germany move three points back (with a game in hand) from Northern Ireland, which has remained unbeaten and holds a perfect 4-0 record so far in qualifying.

Belgium 3-0 Scotland

Romelu Lukaku has had a rough season in the Premier League and multiple reports state he could be leaving, but on Tuesday, he showed everyone what he’s capable of. Lukaku scored a brace, the first on a header just before halftime and the second on a rebound off a save by Scotland goalkeeper David Marshall. Lukaku nearly grabbed a third a few minutes later, flashing a strike on his weaker right foot just wide of goal. An abject Scotland side were constantly under pressure on the road and after many near-misses, Kevin De Bruyne fired a low missile home from outside of the box to put the finishing touches on the game. With the win, Belgium move to the top of Group I with 12 points while Scotland, with their second loss of qualifying, sit in fourth place behind Kazakhstan and Russia.

Here are the rest of the results around Europe on Tuesday:

Belarus 0-1 Northern Ireland

Azerbaijan 1-5 Slovakia

Hungary 1-0 Wales

Albania 2-0 Moldova

Andorra 0-4 France

Iceland 2-1 Turkey

Kazakhstan 4-0 San Marino

Russia 1-0 Cyprus

Greece 2-3 Armenia

Italy 2-1 Bosnia and Herzegovina

Liechtenstein 0-2 Finland

West Brom 3-1 Hull City: Baggies comeback for easy win

Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images
Leave a comment
  • Snodgrass scores rare road goal
  • Phillips nabs two corner assists
  • Brunt, McAuley score

West Brom scored off a pair of Matty Phillips corners in a 3-1 comeback win over beleaguered Hull City at the Hawthorns on Monday.

Chris Brunt, James Morrison, and Gareth McAuley scored for West Brom, which sits 8th in the Premier League with 29 points.

Robert Snodgrass gave Hull a lead, but the Tigers failed to get a point and sit 19th with 13 points.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

West Brom had the better of play early, though Tony Pulis had his side set-up to defend.

For Hull, a 13th minute free kick saw dangerous Robert Snodgrass force Ben Foster into a diving save. Then Michael Dawson hammered a Snodgrass corner wide of the far post.

Snodgrass put Hull ahead with a first away goal in two months, sliding past Claudio Yacob to poke Ahmed Elmohamady‘s cross past Foster. 1-0.

Hull could’ve had a two-goal lead on several occasions were it not for Foster. Some quality work from West Brom’s Matty Phillips was collected by David Marshall just before half.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

Brunt equalized just over three minutes into the second frame, powering Phillips header through the hands of a stunned Marshall.

And McAuley made it 2-1 by rising over the Hull defense to head just over the line for a goal awarded via Goal Decision System. It was another corner, with Phillips provided another assist.

Morrison piled the misery on the Tigers when he first-timed a mishit shot by Salomon Rondon behind Marshall. Woof.

Follow @NicholasMendola

Hull City 2-2 Everton: Snodgrass heroics cancelled by Barkley equalizer

Leave a comment

The team at the bottom of the table at the turn of the calendar year has only survived three times in Premier League history. Hull City may not have to worry about that.

Robert Snodgrass delivered two exquisite free-kicks, as the first crashed into the post but the second found the back of the net to give Hull City a 2-1 lead. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Ross Barkley rose high in the air six minutes from full time to peg back the home side, leaving the sides to share the points with a 2-2 finish. Still, the draw pulls Hull off the bottom of the table, leaving Swansea City a point in their wake.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

Hull City was the more incisive and attacking side in the opening few minutes, and they were rewarded after 6 minutes. A corner came in from Robert Snodgrass to the near post, and Curtis Davies met it there and nodded it across the face of goal. With all the defenders sucked up to the near post towards the initial ball, Michael Dawson was at the far post where Davies’ flick fell, and he whacked it into the back of the net for an early home lead.

The Toffees responded immediately, and nearly came level just seven minutes later. A ball into the box from Gareth Barry from the left met the head of Seamus Coleman, who powered the ball on net, but it clattered the inside of the post and unluckily came back out, cleared by the Hull defensive scrum.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings

Nevertheless, it was clear Everton was the brighter side following the opener. They pressured David Marshall‘s box on numerous occasions through the 20th minute, when Hull had a chance of their own to go 2-0 up. A cross from Ahmed Elhomamady on the right met the crown of Dieumerci Mbokani who beat Coleman in the air, but his header was weak and cleared.

The game closed down, and it appeared Hull would take a lead into halftime, but just before the break, Hull City goalkeeper David Marshall had a horrible moment to gift Everton a goal. With a corner swung in by the Toffees, Mbokani got in Marshall’s way, looking to clear the ball with his head, and when Marshall rose behind him to punch clear, the ball clipped off the inside of his fist and instead went backwards into his own net, ticking the score to 1-1 after 45 minutes.

After the break, goals were there for the taking, but the woodwork denied both sides. Everton had a chance just two minutes after play resumed, as his shot pinged off Dawson and was tipped off the bar by a Marshall save. Then minutes later, Robert Snodgrass delivered a delicious, curling free-kick that slammed into the corner of the bar after having beaten Robles.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

He’d get another chance, however, after a soft foul was given outside the Everton box when Leighton Baines was judged to have pushed down Harry Maguire. Snodgrass presented another brilliant delivery, and this time it went in, curling around the wall and tucking just inside the top-left corner.

They again couldn’t hold on, as Everton struck six minutes from full time as a nobody closed down Leighton Baines on the end line left of the box. The England international whipped in a cross, meeting the head of Ross Barkley who rose to head in the equalizer. They nearly went on to win it, as substitute Dominic Calvert-Lewin headed just wide a minute before added time.

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score

The points shared means Hull City moves to 13, off the bottom of the table but still four points back of safety. Swansea City now sits on the bottom, and they take on Bournemouth on New Year’s Eve. Everton, meanwhile, move to 27 points, but remain in seventh, still six back of Manchester United in front of them.

Hull City 0-3 Manchester City: Tigers outclassed

Danny Lawson/PA via AP
Leave a comment
  • Sterling draws 2nd half penalty
  • Yaya Toure converts PK
  • Iheanacho scores
  • Hull concede late own goal

Yaya Toure converted a Raheem Sterling won penalty in the 72nd minute, sending Man City back into second place in the Premier League table after a 3-0 win over Hull City at the KC Stadium on Monday.

Kevin De Bruyne slid a ball to David Silva, who found substitute Kelechi Iheanacho for an insurance goal in the 78th minute. Sterling then prodded Curtis Davies into an own goal for the final score line.

City is now 7 points behind Chelsea and two points ahead of Liverpool, which plays Stoke City on Tuesday.

Hull City sits 20th, behind Swansea City on goal differential and four points shy of 17th place Crystal Palace.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

Man City lost starting center back John Stones after just 17 minutes, as the Englishman’s up-and-down debut season in Manchester fell victim to a leg injury. Aleksandar Kolarov replaced him.

Silva dribbled up the middle to curl a low shot. David Marshall saved it, but the amount of room given to the Spanish attacker was surprising.

Hull’s tactics, understandably, were to hope for a hit on the counter. Robert Snodgrass had a rare chance on a 44th minute free kick, but his pass was too shallow to beat the City line. Another one came just after the break, and was perfect service if not for the Tigers’ runs.

[ MORE: Latest Premier League standings ]

[ MORE: Full lineups, stats, box score ]

The second half began with a lively Kevin De Bruyne, and he whipped a shot off the near post as Man City looked to break through and snare an opener.

Snodgrass’ service remained strong on a 58th minute free kick that went out for a corner. Bacary Sagna cleared that off the line when Claudio Bravo went a-wandering off the line and didn’t claim the ball.

Hull wasn’t done, and the game looked almost up for grabs as the game edged past the hour mark. Kevin De Bruyne had another chance to finish flash wide of the near post.

Iheanacho had a weaker effort snared by Marshall at the back post as the game neared its final 20 minutes.

Andrew Robertson chopped down Sterling in the 72nd minute, and Toure stepped to the spot to finish with vigor.

De Bruyne then spotted Silva on the right, who hit a pass in front of the spot for a streaking Iheanacho to pass behind Marshall.

Follow @NicholasMendola