Ross Wallace

Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Sheffield Wednesday one win away from Premier League

1 Comment

The Owls of Sheffield Wednesday completed their upset of Brighton & Hove Albion, and now are a Wembley win away from England’s top flight.

After winning the home leg 2-0 last week, the Owls drew 1-1 on the road for a convincing defeat of the Championship’s third-ranked team.

The clubs staged a pair of scoreless draws during the season, but there’d be no such occurances in the playoff.

MORE: All 2015-16 PL season reviews ]

Brighton pulled a goal back to start the second leg, but Ross Wallace equalized with a road goal before halftime.

Wednesday hasn’t been in the Premier League since being relegated in 2000, beginning an odyssey which sent them twice down to League One before rejoining the Championship in 2012.

Sheffield Wednesday will play either Hull City or Derby County, likely the former, on May 28 for the right to join the Premier League. Hull leads Derby 3-0 after one leg, all three of those road goals, and Tuesday’s second leg kicks off at 2:45 p.m. ET.

Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Brighton: Owls control first leg of Playoffs

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Despite finishing 15 points behind Brighton & Hove Albion, Sheffield Wednesday was by far the better side in the first leg of their Championship Playoffs semifinal, winning 2-0 in front of their home crowd at Hillsborough Stadium.

[ MORE: Championship Playoffs preview ]

Wednesday controlled play from the opening whistle, moving the ball forward and creating multiple opportunities on goal. Wednesday’s leading scorer Fernando Forestieri latched on to a long ball over the top and looked to have put the Owls ahead after 19 minutes, but his strike was controversially called back for offside.

Video shows Forestieri was clearly offside on the play, but the linesman never put up his flag and the Wednesday players were allowed a full celebration before the referee went over to discuss the play with his assistant. In the end it was the right call, but the officials handling of it all infuriated Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal.

Already being outplayed, Brighton was forced to make a double substitution in the 40th minute as two players went down injured. Then, just before the break, Wednesday finally found their opening goal.

Ross Wallace cut in from the right wing onto his left foot, firing a strike from nearly 30 yards out into the bottom corner as Hillsborough erupted.

Brighton’s second half started just as poorly as the first half ended, as another injury forced manager Chris Hughton to use his third and final substitution in the 50th minute. Ten minutes later, Anthony Knockaert went down and was stretchered off the pitch, forcing Brighton to play the final half hour with just ten men.

[ VIDEO: Previewing the 2015-16 Premier League finale ]

Wednesday took advantage of the situation, with Kieran Lee putting the Owls 2-0 ahead in the 73rd minute. A former Manchester United midfielder, Lee cut behind the Brighton defense and buried his shot into the side netting.

The second leg will be held at Brighton on Monday, May 16. The Seagulls face an uphill battle, but with one of the best home records in the Championship, this tie is far from over. The team that advances on aggregate will play a one match, winner-gets-promoted final at Wembley.