Adam Johnson

AP

Soccer player Johnson gets 6 years jail for child sex crimes

Leave a comment

BRADFORD, England (AP) Former England soccer international Adam Johnson has been jailed for six years for child sex offenses.

The former Manchester City and Sunderland winger showed no emotion as he was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court on Thursday.

Judge Jonathan Rose said the 15-year-old girl “suffered severe psychological harm.”

Johnson pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual activity with the girl and another of “grooming” – building an emotional connection with a child to gain trust for sexual motives.

The 28-year-old Johnson denied two further charges of sexual activity with the schoolgirl and he was only found guilty of one of them by a jury earlier this month.

Johnson, who played 12 times for England, was sacked by Premier League club Sunderland in February.

Sunderland chief exec. resigns after role in Adam Johnson criminal case

PA
Leave a comment

Sunderland’s chief executive Margaret Byrne has resigned following her role in Adam Johnson‘s criminal case.

In a statement released on the club website, they confirmed Byrne’s resignation had been accepted after an internal investigation showed that “the decision not to suspend him for a second time pending the outcome of the trial, was wrong.”

[ MORE: Johnson to face jail ]

Johnson, 28, was convicted of two criminal acts following an incident with a 15-year-old girl and is currently awaiting sentence. The winger has been charged with one count of grooming and one count of sexual activity with a child.

Following his arrest for this incident last March, the former Middlesbrough and Manchester City midfielder had told the club he was to plead not guilty to the charges and said he was innocent. However, he admitted to two criminal charges in court in February and the next day had his contract terminated.

The fact that Johnson was able to play for Sunderland for almost a year (he was initially suspended for 16 days following his arrest) and earned over $4.5 million has been queried as reports claim that Byrne had read police reports where Johnson admitted kissing the girl, plus she’d seen his sexually charged WhatsApp messages. Johnson also said when giving evidence at his trial that he had “told everything” to Byrne and didn’t believe he would be sacked.

Byrne –a qualified solicitor who was meant to stand for Johnson’s defense during the trial but failed to do so — ultimately made the decisions on behalf of the club and below is the statement in full as she is no longer the CEO.

She also released a lengthy statement of her own following her resignation, which you can read here.

The Board of Sunderland AFC has today accepted the resignation of Margaret Byrne.

Margaret, in her role as CEO, was responsible for the running of the club. She was also accountable for the actions taken by the club in relation to Mr. Johnson.  Sunderland AFC acknowledges that Margaret’s intentions have always been to act in the best interests of the club, however it has become clear through our own internal investigations that in this instance decisions have been taken by Margaret in error.

Whilst swift and decisive action was taken to terminate Mr. Johnson’s employment upon his guilty plea, decisions taken prior to this, including the decision not to suspend him for a second time pending the outcome of the trial, were wrong.  In light of what has been acknowledged by Margaret as a serious error of judgment on her part, we have undertaken a full review of the club’s decision-making processes to ensure that there can be no such mistakes in the future.

Throughout this deeply regretful situation, we recognise that one devoted young fan and her family have been very badly let down, first and foremost by Mr. Johnson and his despicable actions, but also by the club they support. We are so very sorry for this.

Mr. Johnson lied to the club; he also lied to our fans and they have every right to feel aggrieved by this. Lessons have been learned and we hope that the club and its fans can move forward from this together.

Ex-England player Adam Johnson faces jail in child-sex case

Leave a comment

BRADFORD, England (AP) — Former England soccer international Adam Johnson faces jail after being found guilty of sexual activity with a child.

Johnson was sacked by Sunderland as the trial started last month when he pleaded guilty to one charge of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl and another of “grooming” – building an emotional connection with a child to gain trust for sexual motives.

Two further counts of sexual activity with a child were denied by Johnson. A jury cleared him of one count on Wednesday but convicted him of another by a majority of 10-2.

The judge said a custodial sentence was an “almost inevitable outcome” with a range of four to 10 years likely for the sentence.

Johnson was granted bail until the sentencing hearing.

UPDATESunderland has released a lengthy statement regarding the issue, outlining its role in Johnson’s employment throughout the judicial process and addressing allegations that the club was involved in Johnson’s guilty pleas.

“The club only became aware of the change of plea, in relation to two of the four counts on the indictment, on the first day of the trial, after hearing it reported through the media,” Sunderland wrote in the statement. “The club was not advised in advance that Mr. Johnson would plead guilty to any offence. Had the club known that Mr. Johnson intended to plead guilty to any of these charges, then his employment would have been terminated immediately. Indeed, upon learning of the guilty plea on 11 February 2016, the club acted quickly and decisively in terminating Adam Johnson’s contract without notice.”

Sunderland terminate Adam Johnson’s contract after guilty pleas in sex case

Peter Byrne/PA via AP
1 Comment

SUNDERLAND, England (AP) Sunderland has fired winger Adam Johnson after he pleaded guilty to grooming and sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl at the start of his trial.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Johnson, who has played 12 times for England, continues to deny two further counts of sexual activity with a child.

Sunderland dismissed Johnson ahead of his trial resuming on Friday at Bradford Crown Court.

[ MORE: Top 5 Premier League storylines — Sunday’s top-four battle royal ]

In a statement, Sunderland announced Thursday that “in light of Adam Johnson’s guilty pleas, the club has today terminated his contract with immediate effect.”

The former Manchester City player joined Sunderland in 2012 for 10 million pounds (now about $14.5 million).

Sunderland’s Adam Johnson admits child sex charge

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Premier League winger Adam Johnson has pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child, but the Sunderland player has denied two other charges.

Johnson, 28, appeared at Bradford Crown Court in Yorkshire, England on Wednesday and admitted the sex count and another count of grooming.

[ PHOTOS: New PL logo released

The former Middlesbrough and Manchester City winger is an England international but has denied two other charges of having sex with a girl under the age of 16.

Up until Wednesday Johnson had pleaded not guilty but following legal talks he agreed to admit to two of the charges.

[ MORE: Reports claim Mourinho to United is “done deal” ]

The trial over the charges Johnson has denied will be held this Friday and a jury has been sworn in. The initial trial date of Aug. 3, 2015 was adjourned.

Johnson was originally arrested in March 2015 over allegations he had sex with a 15-year-old girl.

He played eight times in the final months of last season after the allegations became public, plus he has made 20 appearances in all competitions for Sunderland this season.