Antonee Robinson

Doucoure to Arsenal
Photo by David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images

Transfer news: Doucoure to Arsenal, USMNT back to West Ham

Leave a comment

A pair of London clubs have been linked with players in England’s second and third tiers, one of them an American international.

[ FA Cup Final: Projected lineups | Key battles | Preview ]

The proposed interest in the latter, Antonee Robinson, came even before his below comments on his hopes for a move out of League One and into playing time.


Doucoure to Arsenal

Linked with Everton in recent weeks, Abdoulaye Doucoure is now said to be a target of FA Cup finalist Arsenal.

The Gunners are said to be hoping to land the 27-year-old Frenchman after Watford’s relegation, hopeful that the price tag may have gone down since Everton reportedly had a $50 million bid shot down in January.

A solid, physical, and technical midfielder, Doucoure’s shown the capability of the sublime with magnificent goals against Fulham a season ago and Brighton in February.

Doucoure has played 141 times for Watford since arriving from Granada in 2016. He has 17 goals and 12 assists, and

Yet he’s also spoken of moving to a Champions League side, something Arsenal will not be next year. If the club wins the FA Cup, would he accept being a Europa League player next season?

Robinson to West Ham United

USMNT left back Antonee Robinson is plotting his next move after Wigan Athletic was relegated to League One in England via points deduction.

Robinson, 22, was due to move from Wigan to AC Milan for $8 million on transfer deadline day in January but he failed a medical at the Italian giants with an irregular heart rhythm that reportedly corrected itself over the break.

Earlier this week, the Wigan Athletic man told American Soccer Now that his mindset has changed since the failed move:

“I feel like I’ve done well enough where now, wherever I go next year, I want to start. In January the idea of going to Milan, it probably didn’t even come to my head that I probably would have been on the bench… now I am more prioritizing a team where I am going to start than a team, just because they’re a big name.”

So perhaps he’s rethought Milan, where he’d be behind Theo Hernandez. Robinson has been linked to Leicester City as well as Premier League side West Ham United.

USMNT center back Aaron Long was also once linked with West Ham, where Robinson would have to overcome longtime starter Aaron Cresswell, who’s been fairly average the past few seasons.

If Ben Chilwell leaves Leicester, Robinson would rival 19-year-old Luke Thomas to start the season as Christian Fuchs is out for another 10-12 weeks.

Transfer news: Chelsea linked with two, USMNT man to Leicester

Ikone to Chelsea
Photo by Xavier Laine/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Players from France, Turkey, and England’s second tier could be headed to the Premier League if Sunday’s rumors are to be believed.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Chelsea’s the location for two of the moves, while Leicester City has its eye on an American player who nearly moved to AC Milan in January.

Ikone to Chelsea

Chelsea is being linked with a play-driving midfielder in the form of Jonathan Ikone.

The 22-year-old French national teamer scored four times with seven assists for Lille this season, one of those goals coming against Valencia in the Champions League.

He started both matches against the Blues in their UCL group.

Ikone can play anywhere in the midfield or forward three. He was developed by PSG before moving to Montpellier.

Tottenham, Inter Milan, and Newcastle have also been linked with Ikone, but Metro says Chelsea and Lille have had some discussions about the player.

Robinson to Leicester City

Sky Sports’ Transfer Centre has a report of a USMNT left back making a move to the Premier League.

Antonee Robinson has been a mainstay for Wigan Athletic and nearly made a move to AC Milan in January before a heart issue put out of action for a few months.

Whether the Rossoneri are still pursuing him is unknown, but Sky says Leicester City definitely has interest in the former Everton and Bolton man.

Robinson, 22, has started all of Wigan’s six matches since the Championship restarted play, going at least 86 minutes in each.

He has seven USMNT caps. Could he be a replacement for Ben Chilwell if the Leicester man leaves for Chelsea or somewhere else?

Cakir to Chelsea

Could Ugurcan Cakir be the man to replace Kepa Arrizabalaga at Stamford Bridge?

The Turkish goalkeeper was linked with Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur in recent weeks but a report claims Chelsea has moved close to completing a $35 million deal for his services.

Cakir, 24, has two Turkey caps and is the starting backstop for Trabzonspor, whose contract runs through 2024 with an option for another year.

Any Turkish football experts out there who can detail his exploits to us?

USMNT: Robinson returns after heart issues

Antonee Robinson USMNT
Getty Images
Leave a comment

USMNT left back Antonee Robinson has returned to action and is ready to play after he was diagnosed with heart issues in January.

Robinson, 22, was due to move from Wigan Athletic to AC Milan for $8 million on transfer deadline day in January but he failed a medical at the Italian giants as an irregular heart rhythm was picked up.

The Everton youth product returned to Wigan and has undergone careful testing, had a heart procedure in March and has been working his was back to full fitness over the last six months. Robinson is now ready to return on June 20 when the Championship season resumes.

“I would like to thank everyone who has supported me over the last few months, with a special thanks to club doctor Jonathan Tobin, the club’s medical staff and all of the team involved at the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital,” Robinson said. “I can’t wait to get back to doing what I love. It has been a challenging time but I have good people around me. I am glad to be able to get back to training with the lads and to have the opportunity to play for Wigan Athletic again.”

The USMNT defender has been through a very tough time as he went from being on the verge of a dream move to AC Milan, to not playing at all due to these heart issues.

It is great to hear that he has now made a full recovery and USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter will be able to take a good look at Robinson in upcoming squads.

After leaving Everton from Wigan permanently after a loan spell, Robinson has been praised by many for his speed and skill down the flank and he is an attack-minded left back.

USMNT fans will be intrigued to see him in action for the rest of the Championship season as Robinson will help Wigan battle against relegation.

USMNT’s Robinson to have heart procedure

Getty Images
Leave a comment

USMNT left back Antonee Robinson has released a statement confirming he will have a procedure on his heart

The Wigan Athletic defender hasn’t played since January when his sensational move to AC Milan stalled at the last minute due to an issue with his medical.

Antonee Robinson, 22, released a statement on Thursday which confirmed he needs a procedure called an ablation, which is defined as something which ‘very carefully destroys the diseased area of your heart and interrupts electrical circuits.’

Here is what Robinson had to say about the procedure which will take place in the next few weeks.

“I wanted to update our supporters on my current situation as I have had a number of people asking if I’m ok and why I have not played since January. During my medical for a potential transfer to AC Milan on deadline day, an irregularity was picked up in my heart rhythm. Further testing was required to ensure the move could be finalised and ratified, though there was not enough time to complete this before the deadline. Since my return to Wigan, I have been training with the team whilst being monitored and I have undergone a period of testing and treatment. I feel absolutely fine but this is an issue that needs sorting before I can play again. Following consultation with the club’s medical staff and independent specialists, it has been decided that I will need a medical procedure later this month to address the irregularity in my heart rhythm – a procedure called an ablation.”

We wish Robinson all the best with his recovery as the former Everton left back is one of the USMNT’s bright young defensive prospects and has been key for Wigan in England’s second-tier up until January.

USMNT left back Robinson linked with Chelsea, 2 others

Antonee Robinson
Antonee Robinson
Leave a comment

Wigan Athletic left back Antonee Robinson remains in the Football League Championship after a deadline day breakdown with AC Milan.

How long that will last is unknown.

A Sunday morning back pages report says USMNT back Robinson, 22, is wanted by Chelsea, Newcastle United, and Aston Villa in the summer transfer window.

Wigan said the breakdown in the move to Milan came down to Robinson’s medical not being finished in time.

[ MORE: Premier League schedule ]

Robinson has seven caps for the USMNT after coming up through the ranks at Everton but never making a senior appearance for the Premier League outfit.

He spent the 2017/18 season on loan at Bolton Wanderers in the Championship, doing the same a season later at Wigan.

He impressed the Latics enough to earn a full transfer, and played 30 times this season before the failed eight-figure move to Italy. The Liverpool Echo claims Everton had a sell-on clause and missed on out 20 percent of the fee.

Overall, he’s made 90 appearances between Bolton and Wigan, with a goal and six assists.

A deeper dive into his stats sees a steady improvement from Robinson, who is now averaging 2.3 tackles and two interceptions per game. In three seasons, his passing has improved by eight percent while lowering how often he’s dispossessed.

The USMNT has struggled to find a long-term left-back replacement for DaMarcus Beasley for years. Sergino Dest has been mentioned as a possibility but plays on the right for Ajax. Eric Lichaj has been — some would say — criminally underutilized in recent seasons.

Robinson getting regular playing time is important. Chelsea certainly has a boatload of fixtures each year, while Newcastle has a long-term hole at left back.