Arda Turan

Getty Images

Turkey seeks 12-year sentence for Barcelona’s Turan after fight

2 Comments

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) Turkey’s state-run media says prosecutors are seeking more than 12 years imprisonment for Barcelona footballer Arda Turan for a nightclub fight in which he reportedly broke the nose of a singer.

The fight last week between Turan and pop singer Berkay Sahin in a nightclub began after the midfielder allegedly made comments to the singer’s wife.

Turan, who is on loan to Istanbul Basaksehir, allegedly later entered a hospital where the singer was being treated, brandishing a gun.

Anadolu Agency said on Monday Turan faces a 12 1/2 year sentence. Other media said Turan was being charged with sexual harassment, possession of an unlicensed gun, deliberate injury, and willfully endangering public security.

Sahin faces a two-year term for insulting Turan.

A court needs to accept the charges before trial can begin.

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

Arda Turan gets record suspension for pushing official (video)

Photo by Levent Kulu/Getty Images for IMG
1 Comment

Arda Turan probably wishes his 2.5 year loan from Barcelona was a bit shorter.

The Basaksehir midfielder is going to miss the rest of the season and the next 14 matches of next season following a record suspension for pushing a referee.

[ MORE: Rooney’s proposed DC move has good precedence ]

Turan has also been fined a little over $9000 for the incident, and the suspension works out to “10 matches for attacking the assistant referee, three matches for insulting him and another three for threatening him.”

Well, the insults!

Turan quit the Turkey national team after reports that he assaulted a sports journalist, so his anger isn’t limited to a single profession.

He also once threw a shoe at a linesman while playing for Atletico Madrid.

Could Arda Turan be the the Chicago Fire’s next conquest?

David Ramos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Last year the Chicago Fire made tremendous improvements to their roster ahead of the 2017 MLS season, and the side was rewarded handsomely with a trip to the playoffs.

[ MORE: Coutinho set to join Barcelona for a whopping $192 million ]

The additions of players like German star Bastian Schweinsteiger and former Red Bulls midfielder Dax McCarty were enough to give Veljko Paunovic’s team a lift, but now the Eastern Conference side could be adding another big name into the fold prior to kickoff in 2018.

The Daily Mail is reporting that the Fire are in discussions with Barcelona winger Arda Turan, who has yet to appear for the Blaugrana in La Liga action this season.

Turan has been a staple for his Turkish national side in the past, making 100 appearances for his native country and scoring 16 goals in that span.

The 30-year-old has appeared with some of Europe’s best sides, suiting up for Atletico Madrid and Turkish club Galatasaray before making his move to Barcelona in 2015.

Turan quits Turkey’s national team after reported assault

Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
1 Comment

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) Turkey midfielder Arda Turan announced Tuesday that he is ending his international career after being dropped by the national team following a report that he assaulted a sports journalist aboard a plane.

Turkey coach Fatih Terim dropped the Barcelona midfielder and expelled him from a training camp in Slovenia ahead of a World Cup qualifier against Kosovo on Sunday, according to Turkish media.

[ MORE: Girls team controversially kicked out of tournament ]

Turan was reported to have verbally abused Milliyet newspaper journalist Bilal Mese aboard a Turkey team plane and then grabbed him by the throat after being angered by an article the reporter had written. The incident occurred after Monday’s friendly between Macedonia and Turkey, Hurriyet and other media reported.

Turan announced his decision in front of cameras at his hotel in Slovenia, saying he had “no regrets,” the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

Reporters and some photo-journalists left the news conference as Turan arrived, in a show of solidarity with Mese, according to Anadolu.

Transfer rumor roundup: Latest on Lukaku; quiet window for Arsenal

Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images
Leave a comment

A roundup of Monday’s transfer rumors from around the Premier League, and the rest of the world…

[ MORE: Bale “happy” in Madrid; not tempted by Man United ]

Two things seem almost certain about the summer transfer window of 2017: 1) With Zlatan Ibrahimovic set to miss the rest of the calendar year, Manchester United will sign a superstar striker; 2) Romelu Lukaku will leave Everton.

Simple logic says, Man United should sign Lukaku, a player with a brilliant track record of scoring in the PL, and one who turned 24 just last month. Jose Mourinho appears to agree, to an extent, which is why United have been heavily linked with a move for the big Belgian — the Red Devils might even be favorites to do so. That was before Bayern Munich came sniffing around, though.

According to the Manchester Evening News, Carlo Ancelotti is a longtime admirer of Lukaku, and the Italian wouldn’t mind pairing him with Robert Lewandowski as Bayern aim to win the UEFA Champions League next season.

[ MORE: Griezmann won’t ditch Atleti during transfer ban this summer ]


Alexander Lacazette’s preferred move to Atletico Madrid was blown to bits when the club’s transfer ban for the duration of the summer window was upheld last week. On the plus side, for Atleti, they’ll hang onto Antoine Griezmann, perhaps the most coveted “available” player in the world this summer.

As for the final party involved, Lacazette and his representatives are in search of a new home, as the 26-year-old Frenchman has already said he’s ready to leave Lyon. According to the Express, Lacazette will meet with Liverpool officials this week, as Jurgen Klopp hopes to land a big-name forward this summer. Beating Manchester United and Arsenal to the punch would be the cherry on top.

[ MORE: Virgil Van Dijk prefers Liverpool over Chelsea, Man City ]


Having already seen their side linked with Lacazette and Kylian Mbappe, Monaco’s superstar-in-waiting, Arsenal fans might be expecting a busy summer of transfers at the Emirates Stadium as Arsene Wenger rebuilds in an effort to achieve Champions League qualification next summer. Not so fast, Gooners. This summer, same as every other summer?

“Between a maximum of two or three,” Wenger told beIN Sports last week. “We cannot spend as much as many other clubs because some clubs have external resources that allow them to be basically unlimited.”

[ MORE: Transfer rumors — De Gea-for-Morata swap? Salah to LFC ]


Without Champions League football to offer, Arsenal also risk losing a handful of key players this summer, including 22-year-old right back Hector Bellerin. According to the Diario Sport, new Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde is keen on bringing the Barca academy product back to Catalonia. Arda Turan could be sent the other way, so as to offset the transfer fee by as much as $33 million, which is what Barca are hoping to recoup for the Turkish international.