Barry Bennell

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

Man City sets up scheme to compensate sexual abuse victims

Leave a comment

MANCHESTER, England — Manchester City has set up a scheme to compensate victims of child sexual abuse experienced at the club.

City on Tuesday launched its redress scheme for survivors following investigations into the conduct of two of its former youth coaches, saying the victims “were entitled to expect full protection from the kind of harm they suffered as a result of their sexual abuse as children.”

The club did not go into precise details about the scheme because of ongoing investigations into historic instances of sexual abuse that have uncovered allegations against John Broome, who worked as a youth coach in the 1960s. Broome died in 2010.

Another former youth coach at City, Barry Bennell, was last year jailed for 30 years after being convicted of 50 child sexual offenses committed between 1979 and 1991.

Described in court as a “child molester on an industrial scale,” Bennell abused young players at his home — described by one complainant as a “paradise” for boys — and on the way to matches and in changing rooms. Boys coached by Bennell told the trial how he had a power-hold over them as they dreamed of becoming professional players.

City said it is focused on completing its investigations to the highest standard and urged any other survivors of sexual abuse to come forward. It said the redress scheme applies to the victims of Bennell and Broome.

“The club reiterates … its heartfelt sympathy to all victims for the unimaginably traumatic experiences that they endured,” City said in its statement .

A lawyer for some of Bennell’s victims said the response from City hasn’t gone far enough.

“We’ve been told at the last minute, before it was made public to journalists, that this scheme was coming out,” Dino Nocivelli told the BBC, “and therefore I take offense to the wording of this being a survivors’ scheme. This is Man City’s scheme, it isn’t for survivors.

“There’s been a lack of due diligence and care given to them. Secondly, they (City) still fail to admit actual responsibility.”

A child sex abuse scandal in English soccer was triggered by the decision of a former player, Andy Woodward, to speak out in November 2016 about abuse he suffered at the hands of Bennell. That sparked many other players to break their silence.

The Football Association, English soccer’s governing body, is overseeing an independent inquiry into historical sex abuse in the game. The inquiry is due to report its findings in the coming months.

Barry Bennell jailed 30 years for abusing young players

Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) A former English youth soccer coach was jailed Monday for 30 years for abusing 12 young footballers after the judge called him the “devil incarnate.”

Barry Bennell, a former coach at Crewe and scout for Manchester City, was convicted at Liverpool Crown Court of 50 child sexual offenses committed between 1979 and 1991.

“Your behavior towards these boys in grooming and seducing them before subjecting them to, in some cases, the most most serious, degrading and humiliating abuse was sheer evil,” Judge Clement Goldstone told the 64-year-old Bennell.

Bennell looked at the floor and nodded as the judge sentenced him. Some members of the public began to applaud as he was sent down, but were stopped by the judge.

Goldstone said Bennell had appeared to his victims as a God.

“In reality, you were the devil incarnate,” the judge added. “You stole their childhoods and their innocence to satisfy your own perversion.”

Goldstone said Bennell’s abuse had destroyed the enthusiasm his victims had for playing football and had led to them suffering problems including suicidal thoughts, alcoholism and depression.

Bennell has already served three jail terms, totaling 15 years, for similar offenses involving 16 other victims in England and the United States.

Former soccer coach charged with 8 counts of child abuse

Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON (AP) A former English soccer coach has been charged with eight counts of child sexual abuse involving two victims from 1980-87.

Prosecutors say Barry Bennell will appear via videolink at a magistrates’ court on Monday in relation to the charges.

[ MORE: Arsenal-Bayern recap ]

Bennell was charged Tuesday with five counts of having sex with a boy under 16, two counts of indecent assault on a boy under 14, and one count of indecent assault on a boy under 16.

The charges come after an investigation by Cheshire Police in northwest England.