Callum Hudson-Odoi

Callum Hudson-Odoi coronavirus
Getty Images

Lampard: Hudson-Odoi recovered from COVID-19

Leave a comment

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard provided a bit of positive news on Friday, stating that young Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi has recovered from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

“I’ve spoken to Callum and it’s great that he’s fully recovered,” Lampard said in a video message posted on Chelsea’s social media channels. “I spoke to him throughout that first week when he first got the illness and it was a strange time. Thankfully he didn’t suffer too much and we are happy he’s come through this. Now it’s just about taking the necessary precautions with the rest of the squad, which we have been doing since he first tested positive and everyone is doing well in the current climate.

[READ: Premier League issues update on playing matches this season]

“It’s a difficult and strange time for everyone and no matter how much we all love football and all love Chelsea, sometimes other things have to come first. This is one of those situations and my message to the players throughout this has been to put your family first. Look after them, and yourself, and keep the motivation that way. I have no concerns with the players losing motivation and I know they will be doing the basics right at home in terms of their fitness and looking after themselves in these times.”

Hudson-Odoi announced on his official Twitter account that he had tested positive for COVID-19 on March 13, and has been in self-isolation since then. He joined Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta as Premier League figures who tested positive for the virus. Since then, the Premier League suspended play and training and England has gone into lockdown, with United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson testing positive for the virus as well.

While the Premier League continues to wait and see if they can finish their season, it’s positive news that Hudson-Odoi has fully recovered and can get back to fitness work at home.

Chelsea: Hudson-Odoi ‘feeling fine and back to his usual self’

Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Callum Hudson-Odoi “is now feeling fine and back to his usual self” after undergoing a period of self-isolation in response to his positive test for coronavirus, according to the latest update from Chelsea.

[ MORE: Transfer rumors: Aubameyang to Man United, Skriniar to Man City ]

The 19-year-old winger was revealed to have tested positive for the virus 10 days ago. Last week, Chelsea manager Frank Lampard relayed a positive update on Hudson-Odoi’s recovery. Now, he’s feeling like his usual self and back to training at home with an eye toward the resumption of soccer, whenever that may be — excerpts from Chelsea’s statement which can be read in full here:

In addition to feeling good, the young winger is hard at work training at home to build and maintain his fitness, as are the rest of the Chelsea squad.

It was first announced on Friday, March 13 that having been tested for the virus, Hudson-Odoi had tested positive, a result that meant as well as self-isolation, the men’s first-team building at Cobham was initially closed while it underwent a deep-cleaning procedure.

Following the deep-cleaning procedure at Cobham, the building has reopened for anyone working there who is not self-isolating.

Lampard gives positive update on Hudson-Odoi coronavirus

Callum Hudson-Odoi coronavirus
Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has issued a positive update in the case of Callum Hudson-Odoi, who tested positive for coronavirus last week.

The young Blues attacker, 19, was said to have mild symptoms upon the announcement of his positive test on Thursday.

[ MORE: Premier League schedule ]

Lampard said Tuesday that Hudson-Odoi has improved plenty, though he was quick to point out that the youngster’s quick turnaround is not representative of the virus’ effects on anyone else.

From ChelseaFC.com:

“I’m happy to say that in Callum’s case, he has made great progress and almost feels his usual self, which is obviously the news we all want to hear,’ said the head coach. “I am of course aware that not everyone can or will recover from this virus, so I urge all of the football and sporting community to continue to act responsibly and look out for the health of other.”

Lampard also admitted to missing football, but said the sport isn’t important at all as the world takes on the coronavirus as a challenging foe.

He also reiterated best practices because, let’s face it: There’s a certain type of person who will listen when it comes from a celebrity rather than a doctor or their loved ones.

“I am no medical expert when it comes to challenging times such as these but please do take the time to call older relatives and vulnerable people who might be alone, or offer to drop round shopping if they can’t get out. Let’s make sure we all take care of each other. Social distancing can leave us feeling isolated, however we can continue to support each other even if that means doing it remotely.”

More coronavirus connections to soccer:

Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi tests positive for coronavirus

Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images
Leave a comment

19-year-old Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi joined Mikel Arteta as the first two known Premier League figures to test positive for coronavirus, the west London club announced on Thursday, just hours after the north London side confirmed their manager had also contracted the virus.

[ MORE: Arteta tests positive for coronavirus | PL to hold emergency meeting ]

Below are key excerpts from the club’s statement, which you can read in full here:

Chelsea men’s team player Callum Hudson-Odoi had a positive test result for Coronavirus returned this evening. Chelsea personnel who had recent close contact with the player in the men’s team building will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines. These will include initially the full men’s team squad, coaching staff and a number of backroom staff.

It is expected that those who did not have close contact with Callum will return to work in the coming days. In the meantime, the men’s team building, one of several separate buildings at our training ground, will remain closed. The rest of our training facility, Stamford Bridge and our other facilities are operating as normal.

Callum displayed symptoms similar to a mild cold on Monday morning and has not been at the training ground since then as a precaution. However, his test came in positive this evening and he will undergo a period of self-isolation. Despite testing positive for the virus, Callum is doing well and looking forward to returning to the training ground as soon as it is possible.

More coronavirus connections to soccer:

Lampard issues Chelsea injury update; Pulisic remains out

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard issued a lengthy injury update after their 2-0 defeat against Man United and USMNT fans will not be happy to hear that Christian Pulisic remains out.

[ MORE: Premier League schedule

Ahead of Chelsea’s pivotal top four clash at home against bitter rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday (Watch live, 7:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com), Lampard could be without as many as five key players.

Andreas Christensen broke his nose and came off at half time against United, while N’Golo Kante was subbed off early after yet another leg injury for the French superstar.

“Callum, no. Pulisic, no. N’Golo, no, from that today. Tammy is a maybe. It is not going our way with injuries at the moment but the players who come in they have to show that. That is what the squad is there for. It is frustrating,” Lampard told Chelsea TV when asked about availability for Saturday.

Lampard then gave an extra update on Kante, who walked through the mixed zone after the game looking okay and told the French journalists who were assembled that it wasn’t too bad.

“It is an adductor injury,” Lampard confirmed. “We will have to assess it and scan it. It doesn’t look great. It is on the same leg [as he injured before].”

With four wins in their last 14 Premier League games Chelsea are not in good form and are just one point ahead of fifth-place Tottenham ahead of their game this weekend.

They also have a nasty habit of dominating matches but are failing to put multiple chances away and with these injuries piling up it certainly makes Chelsea’s decision to not spend in the January window to strengthen their squad, especially in terms of strikers, very surprising.

With Bayern Munich coming up in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League last 16 tie next week, Lampard will hope Chelsea’s luck turns and plenty of players return from injury.