Getty Images

Ancelotti to coach Beckham’s MLS team in Miami?

Leave a comment

After moving to Miami full time, David Beckham is reportedly looking at appointing Carlo Ancelotti as the first-ever manager of his Miami franchise in Major League Soccer.

[ MORE: 3 things learned, MLS Week 4

According to a report from the Daily Mirror in the UK, Beckham remains close friends with Ancelotti, 58, and sees him as his main coaching target for the team which is expected to start play in 2020.

Of course, the biggest hurdle for Beckham and his ownership group to get over in the short-term remains nailing down a stadium deal, but focusing on naming a new head coach will be right at the top of their to-do list.

Per the report, Beckham is also keen on Bruce Arena (his former boss at the LA Galaxy) and former Real Madrid teammate Zinedine Zidane but Ancelotti appears to be the top target and given his pedigree it is easy to understand why.

The Italian coach has won major trophies with AC Milan, Real Madrid, Chelsea, PSG and Bayern Munich, including three Champions League titles, but is out of work after leaving Bayern in September 2017.

Ancelotti has been spotted in London over the past few months with his name linked to both the Arsenal and Chelsea jobs, and it feels like the former Italian national team defender fancies one last crack at a big job in the Premier League.

That could scupper Beckham’s plans to have Ancelotti in charge in Miami — he’d likely want to get someone in charge by the summer of 2019 at the latest — but given the latter spending plenty of time in North America in recent years and seeming to come towards the twilight of his managerial career, it could work.

Ancelotti, along with Beckham, would be able to entice plenty of his former players to Miami to work with him again (would you really need much persuading if you’re a player to move to Miami? Probs not, but still…) and his coaching record and persona speaks for itself. He is a classy individual who has won everything he can in Europe and now may be a good time to try something completely different.

Luigi Di Biagio takes over as Italy coach on caretaker basis

Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

ROME (AP) Under-21 coach Luigi Di Biagio was promoted Monday to take over Italy’s senior national team on a caretaker basis for friendlies against Argentina and England next month.

[ MORE: Ronaldo at 33 ]

The Azzurri have been without a coach since Gian Piero Ventura was fired following a playoff loss to Sweden in November that ruled Italy out of the World Cup for the first time in six decades.

Italy plays Argentina in Manchester, England, on March 23 then faces England in London four days later. The Azzurri’s next competitive fixture isn’t until Sept. 7 against Poland in the inaugural UEFA Nations League.

The 46-year-old Di Biagio played for Italy as a midfielder at the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

Roberto Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti and former Italy coach Antonio Conte are among those being considered for the full-time job.

Roberto Fabbricini, the Italian football federation’s emergency commissioner, mentioned Mancini as a candidate last week.

[ MORE: Kane on 100 PL goals ]

On Monday, he also mentioned current Nantes manager Claudio Ranieri as a possibility.

“Ranieri is no less appealing than Mancini. He’s got the credentials,” Fabbricini said. “But we need to be attentive from a procedural point of view. Many of these coaches are currently under contract. Either they free themselves up or it will be difficult to ask them to consider the job.”

Ranieri coached Leicester to an improbable English Premier League title in 2016.

Fabbricini also suggested that many current Serie A coaches could be considered – perhaps referring to Massimiliano Allegri at six-time defending champion Juventus.

“It’s Alessandro Costacurta’s job to get in contact with the candidates,” Fabbricini said, referring to his vice commissioner and the former AC Milan and Italy defender.

Italian president’s burning remarks provide path for USMNT

AP Photo/Frank Augstein
Leave a comment

There’s no question whether the Italian national team job is a different class than the United States men’s national team.

Aside from the fact that both sides failed to qualify for the World Cup, have a vacant manager’s chair, and decent recent results at youth level, the disparity is striking (and not all in negative ways for American fans).

[ MORE: McKennie impresses again ]

Italy has won four World Cups and a EURO, and played in four additional title games. Their domestic league is Top Five, and only six pool players who’ve been called up in the last 12 months come from outside Serie A. Three play in the Premier League, two in La Liga, and one in Ligue 1. It’s qualifying slate meant top Spain or face a home-and-home playoff with another top European team.

On the other hand, the U.S. faces the most forgiving qualifying run this side of Oceania. It’s room for improvement on the international stage is much higher, and its current group is so much further from its potential than the Italian side that it’s hard to find an apt comparison (Consider that, playoff loss aside, Italy has beat the following sides in the last 18 months: Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, and Uruguay).

Differences/similarities aside — and yes, it’s a tad ridiculous to get this deep into what separates Italy from the U.S. in terms of soccer — the USSF could do worse than monitoring how the Italians are handling their World Cup disaster.

1) Accepting responsibility without caveats about their previous successes — Here’s federation president Carlo Tavecchio (who it must be noted has said some reprehensible racist things. We would never gloss over something like that, but we’re talking about the soccer side here). After blasting player selection, he then said, ‘Yeah, but I hired the dude”:

“How can you not play [Lorenzo] Insigne? I told the staff, not him. I can’t intervene [with the coach], there are rules. I have to acknowledge it; I chose the coach. It’s been four days that I haven’t slept. I wake up continuously. We have always played crosses against tall defenders, some almost two meters tall. We had to play around them with the little players, who were on the bench.”

2) Waiting a while to make the correct move — By most accounts, this is very much the plan for the United States (especially with a presidential election looming in February). While most new presidents wouldn’t begrudge the hiring of an highly-qualified name, plenty of prospective bosses would want to wait until the new (or current) man in charge cements his place.

Tavecchio dropped plenty of names, and is especially interested in Chelsea’s Antonio Conte. And he said it’ll be worth the wait.

“We’re looking for the best. They already have commitments until June from a contractual point of view. Then when we get to June, who will be free? The ones are Ancelotti, Conte, Allegri, [Claudio] Ranieri and Mancini. This is the truth of those available.”

Granted the U.S. does not have the wealth of elite experience coaches that Italy does, but the Americans are also not limited to hiring an American.

USMNT interim boss Dave Sarachan is a respected soccer name who is not going to light the shop on fire while the right hire is made during this upcoming string of friendlies.

It’s a top-bottom failure. It includes nearly every part of the system, but the man in charge is the most important part considering that the USMNT should qualify for every World Cup and somehow managed to bungle it.

America needs a bungle-free hire.

Conte rages on media gossip: “If you want to hit me, hit me”

AP Photo/Matt Dunham
Leave a comment

Antonio Conte is an excitable man, which can be entertaining on the pitch when he’s leading Chelsea.

Less fun is Conte excited in an angry way, frustrated at rumor-filled reports that claim Carlo Ancelotti is in line to replace him due to player unrest, and that those same players are reaching out to former assistant Steve Holland with their distress.

[ PL PREVIEW: Man Utd vs. Spurs ]

Conte’s pre-Bournemouth press conference went a little off course on Friday as he responded to such reports with vigor, saying gossip about him all you want, but leave other people out of it:

 “If you want to hit me, hit me. I stop. This is incorrect and I hate these type of situations. If someone is happy to write this and make the newspaper more interesting continue to do this but don’t put other people in it, because this is incorrect.”

“It’s not good when this person has to send me a message to tell me ‘I’m sorry this isn’t true.” Why do that to a person?”

Conte’s second year in charge of the Blues is not going swimmingly, his three losses just two shy of Chelsea’s total for all of last season’s title run.

It’s worth wondering where all the gossip is coming from, whether it’s a case of “where there’s smoke, there’s fire,” due to a certain batch of Chelsea’s squad having played a part in a previous mutiny. Yet if Conte is correct, and things are mostly fine, then his rage is understandable.

Follow @NicholasMendola

Ancelotti: “For the next 10 months, I will rest”

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Premier League clubs can cross Carlo Ancelotti off the list of available managers to take over in the middle of the season.

The recently sacked manager from Bayern Munich spoke to reporters at an event in Jerusalem’s Old City where he helped coach Jewish, Muslim and Christian children as part of a program set up by Assist for Peace, saying that he was taking the rest of the season off to rest.

“It’s better to keep silent,” Ancelotti told Sky Sports Italia. “I am very happy to be here, this is a commitment I absolutely wanted to keep because I believe that children are our future.

“For the next 10 months I will rest, I will not train any team.”

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The news is a blow to big European clubs who may have been hoping Ancelotti would be available this winter should there be a managerial opening. However, Ancelotti is now 58-years old and missed 12 months of action after undergoing spinal surgery in Vancouver, Canada.

Ancelotti even tweeted that he attended a Vancouver Whitecaps match and had dinner with New York City FC midfielders Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo in 2015. Perhaps a return to North America could be on the cards in 2018?

Having won multiple UEFA Champions Leagues though, there will always be a huge market for Ancelotti, especially in his native Italy.