Corinthians

Getty Images

Report: Arsenal pursuing $61 million rated Brazilian Malcolm

Leave a comment

With Alexis Sanchez looking likely to depart this month and Mesut Ozil expected to follow either in January or at the end of the season, Arsenal already has its eyes on replacements.

One player that has reportedly caught the eye of manager Arsene Wenger is Bordeaux’s Brazilian starlet Malcolm, according to The Times. Arsenal representatives are set to meet with 20-year-old forward’s agents on Wednesday, with Tottenham also reportedly interested in the youngster. Bordeaux has reportedly placed a value of $61 million on Malcolm.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Malcolm has settled well in Ligue 1 since joining Bordeaux from Corinthians in January 2016. He scored seven goals in his first full season last year and has seven goals in 18 appearances already this season, including this bonkers one from 40-yards away that stunned Bordeaux’s social media staff.

It’s a high price to pay, with Sanchez surely leaving the Emirates Stadium for less than Malcolm, but if given time to settle, perhaps Malcolm can develop into a Premier League star in the same way Gabriel Jesus has at Manchester City.

Agent: Tevez turned down Juventus offer, will return to another former club

Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
2 Comments

At this point in his career, Carlos Tevez will perhaps sign for no more new clubs before calling it a day on his lucrative playing career, but that doesn’t mean the prolific Argentine striker can’t (or won’t) continue retracing his steps and playing for a few (or all) of his six different previous employers.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

After leaving Juventus to return to his first professional club, Boca Juniors, last summer, Tevez is on the move again barely 12 months later. Having already rejected a move to West Ham United, a former club itself (the third of his career), Juventus, the sixth and final (to date) stop of Tevez’s career, made a serious run at reacquiring his services in recent weeks, according to Tevez’s agent, Kia Joorabchian.

Instead, Tevez has opted to sign for Brazilian side Corinthians, yet another former club (his second) — quotes from Football Italia:

“Obviously we can only say Carlos is a Corinthians player after the signatures. We’re talking about a done deal though, the transfer is done it’s just missing the signature on the contract.

“There were offers from Juventus, Atletico Madrid and two English clubs but Carlos prefers to go back to Brazil.”

[ MORE: All the latest transfer rumors, announcements ]

If you’re keeping score at home, Manchester United (stop no. 4) and Manchester City (no. 5) are Tevez’s only former clubs not currently vying for or offloading his services. Tevez seems to harbor real love and affection for just about every professional club he’s ever played for — once he no longer plays for said club and seeks a move elsewhere.

Report: Pato to Chelsea loan deal set; Corinthians include option to buy

Photo by Pedro Vilela/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Whether Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United or Chelsea, loan or permanent, the Alexandre Pato to the Premier League rumors have been simmering for months.

[ JPW: Source says Howard to Colorado “highly likely” ]

The last month or so has watched the destination narrowed to Chelsea, and the Stamford Bridge outfit has apparently landed the one-time “next big thing” on a six-month loan deal.

Sky Sports is reporting the move should be announced on Wednesday:

The Blues have agreed terms with the 26-year-old, with an option to make the move permanent in the summer transfer window.

Pato’s current club Corinthians had reportedly stated they wanted the forward to move on and they now have their wish, although the deal has not yet been officially confirmed by Chelsea.

Pato is in the middle of his best season since he concluded a trio of double-digit goal seasons with AC Milan in 2010-11. On loan with Sao Paolo in 2015, he struck 26 times in 56 matches as O Clube da Fé finished fourth in Brazil’s Serie A.

China signs 4 players from Brazilian champions Corinthians

Photo by Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images
Leave a comment

SAO PAULO (AP) It has taken just a few months for Chinese clubs to feast on Brazilian football champions Corinthians.

Chinese clubs have signed four players from the Sao Paulo-based team’s starting lineup that won the league title in November. The latest to go was defender Gil, who signed this week with Shandong Luneng.

Brazilian media reported that his transfer fee was $11 million, with a monthly salary of $350,000.

[ MORE: USMNT’s Gooch goes on loan to League One side ]

Corinthians club President Roberto de Andrade has lamented that Chinese “clubs don’t even know my name” as they’ve closed in on Brazilian talent.

Andrade fears the club could be a shadow of itself next season, and is also embarrassed that one of Brazil’s richest teams can’t compete with China’s economic power.

Midfielder Jadson, who departed for second-division Tianjin Quanjian, and midfielder Ralf, who signed with Chinese Super League team Beijing Guoan, left the club before Gil. Guoan has also signed midfielder Renato Augusto, who weeks earlier turned down an offer from German club Schalke 04.

Former Bayer Leverkusen player Renato Augusto will reportedly earn $500,000 a month at Guoan, four times his salary at Corinthians. He was chosen by fellow players as the top player in the 2015 Brazilian league and scored in Brazil’s 3-0 victory over Peru in a World Cup qualifier in November.

Two other Corinthians players are still entertaining offers: midfielder Elias, who has been a Brazil starter under coach Dunga, and striker Alexandre Pato, who has been linked with a move to English Premier League champion Chelsea.

[ MORE: DC United goalkeeper Hamid out 4-6 months ]

Meanwhile, Renato Augusto and Gil could be jeopardizing their chances of playing for the national side. Dunga has said he’ll still be watching players in China. But he has also acknowledged that players from Asia arrive worn out and jet lagged for World Cup qualifiers in South America.

Corinthians coach Tite, who turned down an offer from an unnamed Chinese club, is unhappy. He has reminded his players that going to China means choosing money over improving on the pitch.

“China’s really messing with us,” he told reporters. “And maybe it isn’t over yet.”

Report: 8 gunned down during Brazilian soccer fan club meeting

Leave a comment

According to a report by the Associated Press, eight people were killed when a Corinthians fan club gathering was interrupted by armed men who opened fire on the meeting. The report states seven people were killed at the scene and another was chased down and killed while escaping.

The fan club, Pavilhao 9, has ties to a now non-operational prison named the Carandiru Penitentiary. Local police said they are making progress in tracking down the killer, with a number of suspects named, but did not release a motive for fear of compromising the investigation. Police did confirm they have ruled out rival fan violence as a possible motive. Some reports have tabbed drug trafficking as the potential motive.

Corinthians did not make a public statement but did post on both Facebook and Twitter a black image with the word “Mourning.”

Local witnesses reportedly saw two armed men burst into the meeting below a highway overpass and force the fans gathered to lie down on the ground face-down before shooting seven of them in the back of the head.

The killings came less than 24 hours before Corinthians was scheduled to play a local Sao Paulo derby against Palmeiras.