Daniel Sturridge

Daniel Sturridge
Photo by Quality Sport Images/Getty Images

Report: Sturridge linked with move to DC United or Inter Miami

Leave a comment

The next time we see Daniel Sturridge memorable goal celebration, it could be on North American soil.

Goal.com says Sturridge, 30, is already training in America, and links DC United and Inter Miami with the striker.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

It would be a Designated Player situation at both clubs, and Sturridge won’t have to go far for information on the clubs. Fellow English national team alum David Beckham runs Miami, while Three Lions teammate Wayne Rooney spent a dominant spell with DC.

It has been a challenging year for Sturridge, whose contract with Trabzonspor was voided after he was banned from football until mid-June and fined nearly $200,000 for providing his brother with “inside information” regarding a possible summer transfer to Sevilla.

But Sturridge also showed his class, scoring seven goals with four assists in 16 appearances for the Turkish club. He also had more injury troubles. Though not long-term, Sturridge missed between one and three league matches on five separate occasions.

Sturridge was once amongst the most lethal strikers in the world when healthy, a loaded conditional. His first two seasons at Liverpool saw him score 36 goals and 14 assists in 49 appearances. That’s really good.

All-told, the Man City Academy product has 77 goals and 29 assists in 218 Premier League appearances between City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Bolton (He failed to score in a short-term loan to West Brom to complete his set of six clubs so far).

He’ll score when healthy, no doubt, but will MLS clubs be spending the same once they come out of coronavirus pause. It doesn’t seem prudent if there are no fans in the stands, as the league’s clubs make a good deal of their money on match day.

Sturridge releases video explanation, appeal after worldwide ban

Daniel Sturridge video
Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Daniel Sturridge explained his side of the story after being banned from football until mid-June for a gambling breach.

Sturridge was also fined nearly $200,000 for providing his brother with “inside information” regarding a possible summer transfer to Sevilla.

[ MORE: Watch full PL match replays ]

The player ended up going to Trabzonspor in Turkey, where he scored seven goals with four assists in 16 appearances before canceling his contract due to the suspension.

Sturridge is upset that the appeal panel has overturned a “highly qualified” original panel.

“I’m going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and friends freely without the real risk of being charged.

“The betting companies and the practice and process of people being able to place bets on people moving clubs has to be stopped. Although the appeal panel has recognized that I hadn’t bet and nobody else had bet, I was still charged.”

On the surface, Sturridge has a point that no one should be able to bet on a player’s next destination. His brother broke rules by betting on his potential move and Sturridge originally served two weeks of a six-week punishment last summer.

The 30-year-old has been linked with a move to Major League Soccer since the termination, but teams will face quite a wait to add the talented but injury-hampered star.

Here is his full statement.

Daniel Sturridge handed worldwide ban

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Daniel Sturridge has been banned from playing worldwide until June 2020 and fined $190,000 for breaching betting regulations.

The former Liverpool striker had his contract mutually terminated with Turkish side Trabzonspor on Monday and now it is clear why.

Sturridge, 30, was found guilty of breaching the FA’s gambling regulations ( he had provided his brother with “inside information” over a bet regarding a possible transfer to Sevilla) and was handed a two-week ban last July.

However, the English FA thought that punishment by an independent regulatory commission was too lenient and appealed the decision. Hence why Sturridge is now banned until Jun. 17, 2020.

In a statement posted on their website on Monday the FA revealed that FIFA have now issued a worldwide ban on Sturridge:

“Daniel Sturridge has been suspended from all football and football-related activity from today until the end of 17 June 2020. Following an appeal by the FA of the previous findings of the independent regulatory commission in this case, an independent appeal board has found that the regulatory commission misapplied the FA’s rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained.

“As a result, the appeal board has found proven two further charges which were originally dismissed. Other factual findings of the regulatory commission were left undisturbed. In relation to the sanction, the appeal board agreed with the FA that the penalty originally imposed on Mr Sturridge was unduly lenient and therefore increased his effective playing ban from two weeks to four months. The appeal board also doubled the fine to £150,000. FIFA has confirmed that the suspension will be of worldwide effect.”

Daniel Sturridge signs for Trabzonspor

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent Daniel Sturridge has signed a three-year contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor.

Sturridge, 29, has been out of contract since leaving Liverpool at the end of last season after seven years at Anfield.

Trabzonspor announced his signing on Wednesday, with Sturridge signing a three-year contract for wages reportedly worth up to $3.2 million per season, including bonuses.

Several clubs across the globe were interested in signing Sturridge, who has struggled for playing time over the last few seasons.

The England international has made just 73 PL appearances over the past five seasons, with several injuries curtailing his progress, plus the emergence of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino not helping his cause. He did pop up and scored a crucial goal at Chelsea last season, but he scored just four times in 27 appearances, most of which were cameo displays off the bench.

During his time at Liverpool he ended up winning the UEFA Champions League trophy, as he played in seven UCL games last season but didn’t feature in the final against Tottenham Hotspur.

There will always be a feeling of ‘what might have been?’ for Sturridge at Liverpool, as he never managed to replicated his incredible 2013-14 campaign alongside Luis Suarez. He scored 21 goals in 29 appearances that season but has since struggled for form and fitness and he never really suited Jurgen Klopp‘s style of play.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in Turkey, and it is also intriguing that he decided against joining one of the giants of Istanbul in Besiktas, Galatasaray or Fenerbache. Sturridge reportedly had offers in Spain, the Middle East and from MLS, but it was clear that plenty of PL clubs were put off by his injury issues and the fact that in July he was handed a six week ban (four of which were suspended) for breaching the FA’s betting rules.

Trabzonspor are currently in the UEFA Europa League playoff round, where they face AEK Athens over two legs for a place in the group stage this season. The Turkish Super Lig season started last weekend, as they drew 1-1 at Kasimpasa. Former Chelsea star John Obi Mikel plays in midfield for the Turkish side, while Crystal Palace’s Alexander Sorloth is on loan and will battle for minutes with Sturridge up top.

Sturridge suspended, fined $100,000 for gambling breach

Photo by Victor Fraile/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Longtime Liverpool striker and current free agent Daniel Sturridge has been fined nearly $100,000 and suspended six weeks for breaking English betting rules.

Four of those weeks will be suspended, and Sturridge is eligible to return to the field on July 31.

[ MORE: Juve seals De Ligt ]

The BBC reports that the soon-to-be 30-year-old was found guilty of passing on news of a potential transfer in January 2018.

Sturridge scored 25 goals with nine assists for the Reds in 2013-14, but collected just 32 and 12 in the following five campaigns. He’s played around 1500 minutes total over the past two seasons.

He’s been linked with loads of destinations, including Bologna, Rangers, Aston Villa, and Inter Milan.