Fabio Capello

AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko

Fabio Capello announces his retirement from coaching

1 Comment

ROME (AP) Fabio Capello has announced his retirement from coaching.

The former AC Milan, Real Madrid, Roma and Juventus coach tells RAI state radio that he’s not interested in the open job with Italy’s national team.

[ MORE: Mo Salah back in training for Liverpool ]

The 71-year-old Capello left as coach of Chinese club Jiangsu Suning last month just three matches into the season

“I’ve already had experiences with the England and Russia national teams,” Capello said. “I wanted to coach a club once more and Jiangsu was my last football job. I did everything that I wanted to. I’m pleased with what I did and now I’ll enjoy being an analyst. You always win in that role.”

Capello was most successful at Milan, guiding the Rossoneri to four Serie A titles and the 1994 Champions League trophy.

Fabio Capello leaves Chinese club Jiangsu Suning

Getty Images
Leave a comment

NANJING, China (AP) Fabio Capello has left his post as head coach of Jiangsu Suning, the Chinese Super League club said Wednesday.

The 71-year-old Italian signed an 18-month contract with the Nanjing club in June 2017, helping the 2016 league runner-up to avoid relegation.

The departure of the former Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus and England coach comes just three games into the 2018 season in which Jiangsu has won one and lost two matches.

“After friendly negotiations between the two sides, the contract between Fabio Capello and Suning Football Club ended early and Mr. Capello no longer serves as the head coach of Jiangsu Suning,” the club said.

China media are reporting that Capello has been replaced by Cosmin Olaroiu, a Romanian coach who has extensive experience with Middle Eastern clubs.

New league, very different challenges for Fabio Capello in China

Getty Images
Leave a comment

As he won league titles as head coach of Real Madrid, Milan and Juventus, Fabio Capello never had to contemplate relegation. In his first foray to China, it has suddenly become a very real threat.

Capello, winner of the UEFA Champions League in 1994 and who also led the national teams of England and Russia to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, was appointed as head coach of Jiangsu Suning in June.

In three Chinese Super League games under one of the world’s most famous coaches, Jiangsu has collected just one point. More worrying still is that in those games, the Nanjing-based club failed to score.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

The latest setback was a 1-0 home loss to Shanghai SIPG, which was missing star players Oscar and Hulk through suspension. That loss left Jiangsu bottom of the 16-team league, three points adrift of safety.

“Maybe this is the most testing situation that Capello has ever faced,”Gary White, who led Shanghai Shenxin clear of relegation from China’s League One in 2016, told The Associated Press.

“He does not have a team full of world-class players to rely on. He must bring the big foreign stars and the Chinese players together and get them to play for each other. It is not about quality, it is about motivation.”

The player stocks are still high at the club which finished runner-up in the 2016 season. Bolstered by more than $80 million spent on Brazilian internationals Alex Teixeira and Ramires, Jiangsu pushed Luiz Felipe Scolari’s Guangzhou Evergrande all the way for the title.

This season the stars remained at the club and firepower was added in the shape of Colombian international striker Roger Martinez.

There were high hopes at the start of the season but the expected title challenge hasn’t materialized and Jiangsu started to slip down the standings, winning just once in the first third of the season. South Korean coach Choi Yong-soo resigned on June 1.

“With the experience Capello has, you would think he can turn it around,” White said. “This club should not be bottom of the league with the players they have. He has to get them to play for each other, the team, the fans and the city.”

The expected upturn has yet to happen, though the 71 year-old Italian coach is trying to stay positive.

“We are improving,” Capello said after the latest loss. “We are playing better all the time but we are lacking confidence especially in front of goal. Against Shanghai we played well and did not deserve to lose …I can see the quality that there is in the team.”

Capello has been in China for less than a month but much of the Chinese media has warned of the need for a result soon.

However, Capello can take heart from Felix Magath. The former Bayern Munich boss arrived in June 2016 to take over a struggling Shandong Luneng.

“The Chinese Super League is a tough league and when you are in the relegation zone, confidence falls and when you are a big team with famous players, the other teams like to beat you,” said Magath, who steered Shandong to safety with a margin of just two points.

This season Shandong is much-improved and currently sits in fifth.

For Capello, anywhere outside the bottom two when the season ends in October will do.

Former England coach Capello “not interested” in Italy job

AP
Leave a comment

ROME (AP) Former England coach Fabio Capello says he is not interested in taking over the Italy job when Antonio Conte steps down after the European Championship.

[ MORE: Cruyff most influential in history ] 

The president of the Italian Football Federation, Carlo Tavecchio, said on Thursday that he will speak to Capello “and others” about the position.

But Capello says “I’m not planning on meeting anyone … the national team does not interest me, I’m unmovable on that.”

[ VIDEO: Highlights from Cruyff’s career

Capello was most recently in charge of Russia but left the post three years early with qualification hopes for Euro 2016 in danger. Russia did eventually qualify for the tournament.

The Italian won only two of his last 10 competitive matches in charge.

[ MORE: Players, clubs react to Cruyff’s death

Capello, who has also coached Real Madrid, Juventus, Roma and AC Milan, turns 70 in June.

Jason Kreis fired by New York City FC

9 Comments

Jason Kreis, the man hand-picked to manage New York City FC and lead the 2015 expansion side into its inaugural Major League Soccer campaign, has been fired after one season following “a review conducted at the end of a disappointing campaign,” NYCFC announced on Monday.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

Widely regarded one of the best American managers, Kreis left Real Salt Lake following the 2013 season and spent all of 2014 working alongside the technical staff at NYCFC’s sister club, Manchester City of the Premier League, to prepare for the 2015 season. NYCFC finished eighth in the Eastern Conference, 12 points adrift the sixth and final MLS Cup Playoffs place.

From the club statement:

Prior to the start of the season, it was agreed with the coaching team that securing of a playoff place was an appropriate target for this year. A win rate of less than one in three games and a points tally which was the second lowest in the league is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed. 

While the challenges of building and integrating a new team are recognized, it was felt by the Board, following a comprehensive review, that there was not enough evidence of the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond.

Kreis also seemed to have been put in a tough position by his higher-ups at City Football Group. Despite a budget that seemed infinite in comparison to that of most other MLS clubs, it was widely reported that the summer signing of Andrea Pirlo — and perhaps that of Frank Lampard a year earlier — were signings forced upon the manager for off-the-field reasons. Neither Lampard nor Pirlo were particularly good in their first MLS season.

[ MORE: Kreis speaks exclusively, candidly to PST before 2015 season ]

A report last week stated that NYCFC has already held talks with unemployed Italian manager Fabio Capello as a possible replacement should Kreis be relieved of his duties, which has now been done.