American forward Josh Sargent will be shut down for the rest of 2019 thanks to a groin injury.
Werder Bremen said the injury first arose during USMNT duty and has bothered the 19-year-old in recent weeks.
[ MORE: Premier League schedule ]
Sargent has two goals and three assists in 13 matches this season, playing mostly a center forward or primary striker role.
Here’s Bremen head coach Florian Kohfeldt:
“Since this is a small, deep-set muscle, the problems only occur at certain, very specific loads, which is why he was able to play and train for so long with problems. We will now give Josh’s injury time to properly heal, then he will get back to training in January.”
There are four more match days in the Bundesliga before the league goes on holiday break until mid-January.
There is some good news at United States men’s national team coach Gregg Berhalter’s perplexing decision to deny Josh Sargent a spot on the U-20 World Cup roster and then cut him from the final roster at the Gold Cup.
Sargent, 19, is fresh as a daisy for Werder Bremen’s preseason, and coach Florian Kohfeldt is seeing good things from the striker.
[ MORE: West Ham after $45M Haller ]
“I’d have welcomed it if he’d have played at the finals because that kind of thing is always a good experience, but we also see the positives of him not being involved,” Kohfeldt said to the Bundesliga site.
Sargent scored twice in 10 appearances for Bremen’s first team last season, making one start. He was a menace for Bremen’s second team, scoring seven times with two assists in 12 appearances.
And Sargent hasn’t been sitting around stewing at his omission from the Gold Cup, even returning to his Bundesliga home earlier than required by Kohfeldt.
“I gave him the chance to spend some time with his family because he’s a long way from home here in Bremen, and can’t fly back to the US very often, but he didn’t want to. He told me that his full focus is on Werder Bremen. Now he’s come back in fantastic shape, which is really important for him.”
Bremen’s forward corps is a funny one this year, and Sargent has a chance to seize playing time alongside or ahead of 40-year-old Claudio Pizarro, returning striker Niklas Fullkrug.
It’s been a pretty solid week and year for Josh Sargent.
[ MORE: Spurs injury update ]
The USMNT striker played against Colombia and Peru, scoring against the latter on Thursday, and now his coach is ticketing him for first team soccer at Werder Bremen.
Boss Florian Kohfeldt had previously mentioned that Sargent would get a first team chance this season, but the 18-year-old looks set to be a fixture amongst those competing for playing time in the Bundesliga.
“This period in which [Sargent] plays exclusively in the U23s is over,” said Kohfeldt of the player who now has two goals in just five senior international caps. “He looks to be a long way beyond that now.”
Sargent had six goals and two assists in 10 matches for Werder Bremen II, and could make his first appearance for the first team on Saturday at Schalke.
He’s done it again.
USMNT striker Aron Johannsson continues to make the most of his second chance with Werder Bremen under manager Florian Kohfeldt.
[ MORE: MLS Roundtable | Predictions ]
Johannsson, 27, came off the bench to score a 78th minute equalizer as Bremen came back from a 2-0 deficit to draw at Borussia Monchengladbach on Friday.
He played 12 total minutes across four appearances between Aug. 19 and Jan. 27, but has a goal and two assists in five appearances since Feb. 3.
And Johannsson admitted he’s driven by getting back in the USMNT frame, saying:
“The biggest thing in football is for me to play and represent my country. I hope I can continue to have some minutes on the pitch and score some goals and play for the national team again.”
The point boosts Bremen three points clear of 16th place Mainz and 10 clear of 17th place Hamburg.
Bremen is 3-1-1 in those matches, and the 35-year-old Kohfeldt is now 7W-4D-5L since taking over at Werder Bremen.
Here’s the goal.