PRO SOCCER TALKPST Select Team

Inter Miami

Getty Images

Report: Edinson Cavani set to join Inter Miami next summer

Leave a comment

Edinson Cavani is reportedly set to make a big splash in Florida.

According to Uruguayan journalist Alvaro Izquierdo, Cavani, 32, is set to join David Beckham’s Inter Miami next summer.

The club will make their MLS debut next season.

The specifics of the supposed move are not know, but per the report from Izquierdo, Cavani will join Miami on a free transfer after his contract with PSG expires in June. Since joining in 2013, El Matador has been irreplaceable for the French giants, scoring over 160 goals and becoming the club’s all-time leading goalscorer. This season, Cavani is off to a perfect start -scoring in the first two games of the Ligue 1 season.

[ MORE: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

The striker is one of the first superstars linked to Miami, but the general vibe given off by owners Jorge Mas and Beckham is that the club will look to spend big – similar to Atlanta United, LAFC and LA Galaxy.

Miami has signed three players so far ahead of their 2020 MLS debut – Christian Makoun, Julian Carranza, and Matias Pellegrini all currently make up the squad.

Gattuso linked with move to Inter… Miami (of course)

Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Gennaro Gattuso’s next gig could be with Inter… Miami.

The 41-year-old “Rino” may take the reins at expansion club Inter Miami CF under owner David Beckham after leaving AC Milan at the end of last season.

[ MORE: All 20 PL Best XIs ]

Known for his bulldog midfield presence and heart-on-sleeve sideline management, Gattuso would fit the bill of what Inter Miami says it’s seeking from its first head coach.

From The Miami Herald:

Inter Miami co-owner Jorge Mas said last week that the team was “very close” to naming its first head coach, and that it would be “someone you’re going to know who has coached before at the highest level and who has played at the highest level.”

Gattuso was linked with the open Newcastle United job, but it’s worth noting that there is a heavy Italian and even Milan presence in South Florida. Alessandro Nesta coached at Miami FC, and Paolo Maldini owned the current NPSL club.

The club added its third player on Tuesday, announcing the signing of Venezuelan standout Christian Makoun. The 19-year-old defender spent last season on loan with Juventus’ U-23 side.

Miami had already signed as a Matias Pelegrini as a Designated Player and Julian Carranza. Both Argentine playmakers are on loan ahead of their MLS debut in 2020.

MLS Notes: Inter Miami announces first signings

Getty Images
1 Comment

David Beckham’s club has a name, logo, new stadium, and finally, now, players.

Inter Miami CF announced on Friday its first two official signings, and both are Argentina teenagers. First comes 19-year-old Matias Pellegrini, who joined in a transfer from Estudiantes de la Plata and is signed as a Young Designated Player. Second came Julian Carranza, who joined in a transfer from Banfield. Both players have been loaned back to their Argentine clubs until January 2020, when they join the MLS side for preseason training.

[ MORE: All of PST’s MLS coverage ]

“It’s important for us that we found young, exciting attacking players that are on the upside of their career and have the potential to be really good players in this league,” Inter Miami CF Sporting Director Paul McDonough said in a statement. “We will continue to build and add quality players that are the right fit for our Club. We started with youth, but we know it’s also important to have veteran players who come from both overseas and within the league to balance out the roster over time.

“Both Julián and Matías showed us they really wanted to take the next step of their career with Inter Miami CF. We liked that Pellegrini can play inside and out wide, has very good aerobic capacity and can cover a lot of ground, while Julián is a very grounded player with an impressive work rate. He’s the player that strives to score goals and is very good in the box.”

Both players have featured for Argentine youth national teams, and are the latest in a constant pipeline of young Argentina players heading to MLS. It’s obviously unclear and a bit too early to know exactly what to expect from the two players in MLS, but if they’re anything like Diego Rossi and other recent new Young Designated Player acquisitions, they should be players to keep an eye on moving forward.

Here are some more transfer stories from across MLS:


Report: Galaxy inch closer to $18 million Pavon transfer

Guillermo Barros Schelotto is reportedly on the verge of completing a massive transfer to bring in one of his former players.

Fox Sports Argentina reported on Friday that it would take $18 million for the LA Galaxy to sign Boca Juniors winger Cristian Pavon. According to the report, the transfer is supposed to be wrapped up in the next few hours.

The 23-year-old started for Argentina at the last World Cup and has been linked for years with a move to Europe.

While it’s a massive investment by the Galaxy, it may be one that will be hard to be recouped one day. Pavon has really struggled over the past 12 months. From struggling at the World Cup, Pavon in 2019 has mostly been used off the bench in important Copa Libertadores matches, just starting in Superliga games and becoming a bit of an afterthought.

For Boca, to sell a backup for $18 million would be a coup.

Bale leaving Real Madrid; Where to?

Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
2 Comments

Gareth Bale is not going to play for Real Madrid this season. The jersey he will pull onto his body remains a mystery.

Real manager Zinedine Zidane said that “it’d be better” for the club and player if he was sold tomorrow, claiming it’s nothing personal but that Bale is simply not in his plans.

[ MORE: Watford chasing Sarr ]

Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett poured gasoline on those comments by blasting the French legend as “a disgrace,” saying the player and agent are “working on” an exit.

From Marca.com:

“Zidane is a disgrace,” Barnett told AFP. “He shows no respect for a player that has done so much for Real Madrid.”

Obviously it’s far from disgraceful for Zidane to publicly admit that a massive player and personality may no longer fit the bill, and Barnett’s harsh words are more than agent talk: He wants a higher fee than will come from Real saying, “He’s 10000000000% available.”

Barnett does represent Jesse Lingard and Luke Shaw, and there are so many reasons to think the Welshman could move to Manchester United. A return to Spurs is obviously romantic, but the club’s wage structure would be a concern to deeming this a fit.

Bale wasn’t fantastic last season, posting eight goals and three assists in under 1800 La Liga minutes and adding three goals and two assists in under 500 Champions League minutes (In fact, he was the 14th ranked player in UCL advanced stats according to Who Scored).

He is not far removed from monster campaigns with Real, and it’s no surprise that his production would drop off in a world without Cristiano Ronaldo around him (and vice versa, to a lesser degree).

There are a lot of reasons to wonder whether Mauricio Pochettino and Daniel Levy would consider what it takes to bring Bale to town. It would instantly and realistically elevate the discussion about whether Spurs could seriously rival Liverpool and Man City for a Premier League title while adding Champions League mettle as well.

The idea of Bale playing with Harry Kane the way he worked with Ronaldo and Karim Benzema is electric, though the prospective move took a hit by Zidane’s lack of love for Christian Eriksen.

Bayern Munich is another potential avenue for Bale, as is the Chinese Super League.

But we wonder if the 30-year-old would sign up for massive David Beckham wages at Inter Miami with a loan to a Champions League side for a season ahead of the Super Becks’ opening campaign in MLS. What better way to engender some fan interest amongst Floridians and Manchester United fans than a nice loan? We’re sure Zlatan brought some Red Devils’ eyes to LA, for what it’s worth. Spurs would work here, too, as would any side hopeful of expanding their American imprint.

Maybe Bale isn’t ready for that step. He’d surely prefer adding to his four Champions League titles and probably likes the idea of doing some bigger things for Wales, but there’s a lot of dough in America and really it’s not going to cost him his place with the Welsh side (though concerns about competition would be legit).

Report: Inter Miami first in line to sign USMNT’s Boyd

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Inter Miami’s first big signing could turn out to be a player who just announced himself to mainstream U.S. Soccer fans.

According to a report in The Athletic, Inter Miami has gained the discovery rights to sign U.S. Men’s National Team winger Tyler Boyd. The 24-year-old only recently came to U.S. Soccer’s attention due to only having played in friendly matches for the New Zealand National Team, and the New Zealander-American filed his one-time switch in May to be eligible for the USMNT during the Gold Cup.

[READ: Terry backs Lampard for Chelsea manager job]

He immediately opened his account with two goals against Guyana and five shots, two on target in the USMNT’s 6-0 thrashing of Trinidad and Tobago.

Boyd is currently under contract with Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes, but he’s played little for them since joining in 2015. He spent the 2017-2018 season with Tondela in the Portuguese Liga and then spent the last six months in Turkey with MKE Ankaragücü, scoring six goals in 14 games to help them stave off relegation. According to multiple reports, Boyd is down to the final year of his contract with Guimaraes, and it’s possible that he could be off to Turkey again – reports in Turkey state Besiktas is interested – or potentially elsewhere.

That’s where Inter Miami come in. With the club expected to launch in the 2020 season, it could sign Boyd this summer – as a Designated Player or use Targeted Allocation Money to pay down his salary and transfer fee – and loan him out for six months before beginning life in the Miami area when the team begins play next season. There’s plenty of precedent for this, including with what New York City FC did with Frank Lampard and to an extent, David Villa, as well as what FC Cincinnati did in a sense – signing Fatai Alashe and Fanendo Adi and loaning them to the team competing in USL in 2018.

Based on the little we’ve seen for Boyd, he would surely be a success in any system that gives him the freedom to attack down the wing and cut in, creating shooting lanes for him and his teammates. Of course, USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter may prefer for Boyd to play in Europe and test himself against a higher-level of opposition.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP