Cristiano Ronaldo sent shockwaves across the globe when he completed a stunning move to Juventus over the weekend, but American fans will have to wait to little while to see the Portuguese star in action.
[ MORE: Schedule for PL giants on U.S. tour ]
The 33-year-old won’t take part in the Serie A champions’ tour of the United States this summer, which begins on July 25 against Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich.
Instead, Ronaldo will head to Asia for his annual “CR7 Tour,” which helps promote his various sponsorship obligations as well as his global brand.
Juventus faces a jam-packed fixture list while in the U.S. over the coming weeks, which includes three International Champions Cup matches, as well as taking on the MLS All-Stars in the 2018 MLS All-Star Game on August 1 in Atlanta.
Multiple reports say Chelsea has parted ways with head coach Antonio Conte, ending a tumultuous year at Stamford Bridge.
Conte led Chelsea back to a Premier League title in 2016-17, but this season was rife with acrimony.
[ MORE: Kenedy seals loan ]
The Londoners are expected to appoint ex-Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri as Conte’s replacement.
Chelsea won the FA Cup this season, but finished five points back of the Top Four in league play. The Blues fell to Barcelona in the Champions League’s Round of 16.
Conte was vocal about his desire for player signings before last season, and it seemed unhappy marriage from very early in the campaign.
The firestorm of Cristiano Ronaldo news has turned some attention away from the World Cup, and the Portuguese star is believed to be closing in on a deal in Italy.
[ MORE: Ranking the World Cup quarterfinalists ]
Reports have suggested a $116 million move to Juventus is not only in the cards, but likely to be announced in the coming days, and an ex-Juve employee says the deal is likely “already signed.”
Former Juve CEO Luciano Moggi has suggested that Ronaldo has already finalized his contract with the seven-time reigning Serie A champions, and that an announcement should be forthcoming.
“In my opinion, he has already signed and passed the medical examination with Juventus in Munich,” Moggi told Italian TV network Tele7Gold.
“This is what I think after talking to important people.”
Ronaldo has spent the past nine seasons at Real Madrid, after having previously played for Manchester United and Sporting CP.
The 33-year-old is coming off of his fourth UEFA Champions League crown with Madrid, and fifth as a player (one with Man United).
CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. men’s soccer team has finalized exhibitions against Brazil, England and Italy, though it remains uncertain when the Americans’ new coach will be in place.
The U.S. will play Brazil on Sept. 7 at East Rutherford, New Jersey, four days before a previously announced match against Mexico at Nashville, Tennessee.
[ MORE: Rooney to DC this week ]
The Americans will play England at London’s Wembley Stadium on Nov. 15 and face Italy five days later at a site to be determined. The U.S. Soccer Federation also said Monday the team will play two home matches in October.
Bruce Arena quit as coach last October after the Americans failed to qualify for the World Cup and missed the tournament for the first time since 1986. Dave Sarachan, his top assistant, became interim coach and has led the team to two wins, a loss and two draws.
Former American midfielder Earnie Stewart was hired as general manager this month and will lead the search for a coach. He starts work Aug. 1.
FROSINONE, Italy (AP) Frosinone beat Palermo 2-0 in a playoff to earn promotion back into Serie A on Saturday after a two-year absence.
Raffaele Maiello scored early in the first half and Camillo Ciano sealed it in added time by finishing off a counterattack.
Frosinone, which is south of Rome, advanced on 3-2 aggregate after Palermo won the first leg of the Serie B playoff final 2-1.
Frosinone joins Serie B champion Empoli and second-place Parma – which each earned direct promotion – in the top flight.
In its only previous season in Serie A, Frosinone finished 19th out of 20 clubs in 2016.
Frosinone opened its Benito Stirpe Stadium this season more than 40 years after construction began, including 30 years of inactivity.