Massimo Cellino

Getty Images

Brescia president Massimo Cellino wants Serie A to be cancelled: ‘Anyone who wants this cursed title, take it’

Leave a comment

Brescia president Massimo Cellino wants the current Serie A season to be cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic, calling for league officials to prioritize public health, while dubbing the league title “cursed.”

“You don’t have to think about when to start again, but if you survive,” Cellino told the Corriere dello Sport newspaper. “Everything has to be moved to the next season. It is time for realism, gentlemen. This is the plague.”

“You can no longer play this year,” he added. “Think about the next one. Some people still do not realize what is happening, and those people are worse than the virus. I don’t believe in miracles, I stopped doing it long ago. We reset.”

While some Serie A teams are reportedly eager to resume training, Cellino, who owned Leeds United from 2014 to 2017, wants the season to be voided. Brescia are dead last in Serie A, which has been on shutdown since March 9, with 16 points after 26 matches.

 “Anyone who wants this cursed [title], take it. It is closed. Finished. And I am not saying this because Brescia is last,” Cellino said. “We are last because we deserve it.”

Latest coronavirus connections to soccer:

VIDEO: Brescia defend club president after racist Balotelli comments

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Balotelli has been subjected to more racist abuse in Serie A, this time from the president of his own club, Massimo Cellino.

Earlier this month Balotelli was subjected to racist chants from Hellas Verona fans during a game for Brescia, his hometown club, and at the weekend he was left out of the squad for their 3-0 defeat at Roma after having a disagreement with head coach Fabio Grosso.

Asked about the situation regarding Balotelli, here’s what Cellino had to say: “He’s black, what can I say, he’s working on clearing himself but he’s having a lot of difficulty.”

Here is a video of the simply shocking comments from Cellino.

The club then released a statement, saying that Cellino’s comment was “clearly misunderstood” and he was in fact trying to protect Balotelli.

Balotelli, 29, has scored twice for Brescia this season as they sit bottom of Serie A.

Brescia chief makes apparently racist remark about Balotelli

Getty Images
1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Brescia President Massimo Cellino has made an apparently racist remark about his own club’s forward Mario Balotelli.

 [ MORE: Serie A scores, schedule

The 29-year-old Balotelli has struggled since returning to Serie A with Brescia, his hometown club, and was dropped from the weekend’s match following a dispute with coach Fabio Grosso.

Asked about Balotelli on Monday, Cellino said: “He’s black, what can I say, he’s working on clearing himself but he’s having a lot of difficulty.”

Balotelli experienced racism at the beginning of his career in Italy, when he rose to prominence with Inter Milan, and he was also the target of racist chants earlier this month during a match at Hellas Verona.

The game was suspended for several minutes and Balotelli threatened to leave the field.

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

FA bans Leeds owner Massimo Cellino 18 months

Getty Images
1 Comment

Leeds United may be making a push to return to the Premier League, but they’ll have to do so without their owner.

Massimo Cellino, who took over Leeds in February of 2014, has been banned for 18 months by the English FA for his involvement in the sale of Ross McCormack to Fulham later that summer. He was also fined $315,000 and required to complete a course outlining the duties and restrictions for owners in the English league.

During McCormack’s sale, a significant payment was apparently paid to unlicensed agent Barry Hughes, facilitated by McCormack’s official licensed agent Derek Day, who was also banned for 18 months, although 11 of those are suspended, leaving him sidelined for seven months should no other infractions arise.

This likely will only serve to accelerate the current potential sale of Leeds to Andrea Radrizzani, with both sides having publicly acknowledged discussions are ongoing.

Leeds is currently in fourth in the Championship table, having won five of their last six matches. McCormack, meanwhile, scoring a whopping 42 goals in 100 appearances over two years before making a big-money move to Aston Villa this past summer, where he has slumped at Villa Park, owning just two goals over 13 Championship appearances this season and losing his place in the team. To be fair, he struggled in his early days at Fulham as well, scoring just twice in his first 15 matches before exploding in his second season at Craven Cottage with 21 league goals.

Internal turmoil swirling at Leeds, with transfer lawsuit the latest incident

3 Comments

Leeds United is well and truly falling apart at the seams.

Things continue to get worse and worse for the embattled club which is tearing itself apart in what appears to be nothing short of a slow and painful struggle with money and lawyers.

The most recent incident involves a former player and transfer target, who has now filed a lawsuit against the club claiming breach of contract.

24-year-old winger Cameron Stewart, currently with Ipswich Town and who played for Leeds on a three-month emergency loan last year, claims his loan deal was set to become permanent, but that a shakeup in the club’s front office caused signatures on his contract to become void, according to a report in the Daily Star. He is going after the team for the wage difference between his current Ipswich deal and what his potential wages at Leeds would have been.

This past weekend, manager Neil Redfearn was forced to build a squad for the club’s visit to Charlton around the last-minute absence of six players. Leeds insists they were all injured, but many have speculated the players boycotted the trip in protest of the team’s off the field troubles.

Mirco Antenucci, Edgar Cani, Giuseppe Bellusci, Marco Silvestri, Dario Del Fabro and Souleymane Doukara all told Redfearn at the last minute they were injured and could not make the short trip south. The club issued a statement following widespread speculation, saying “The club completely stands by the internal medical recommendations it receives. It was declared that the six players were unavailable to travel to London on Friday, the club needs to protect its assets.”

Protecting its assets is not something Leeds has done well of late. With owner Massimo Cellino suspended by the FA for tax trouble, things have spiraled out of control. Redfearn was hired to save the club from relegation, and he’s remarkably done just that, but suddenly the club has lost five in a row and the vultures have returned.

Redfearn’s assistant Steve Thompson was suspended by Cellino’s right-hand man Nicola Salerno in early April for an “internal matter,” after which the manager said “for what I don’t know.” Before the suspension, Leeds had gone unbeaten in five matches. Since, they’ve failed to pick up a point.

That same day, a story came out accusing the Leeds front office of pressuring Redfearn to bench top scorer Mirco Antenucci because of a clause in his contract that would trigger another year on his deal should he reach 12 goals, a rumor which his agent confirmed to be true. Antenucci started the first 24 games of the year, missing just 14 total minutes during that span and scoring eight goals. Since the turn of the new year, he’s started just twice and has just two goals.

It’s a miracle that Redfearn has stayed in the job with so many people seemingly tightening the screws. It’s not the first time Cellino has appeared to try and run a manager out of town. In early 2014, he reportely tried to fire Brian McDermott before he was even confirmed as the club owner, before getting his wish at the end of last season. Things are going from bad to worse under Cellino, and it doesn’t appear like he’ll be leaving anytime soon.