Southampton fire manager Mauricio Pellegrino

1 Comment

Changes are coming at Southampton, as the Premier League side attempts to fend off relegation this season.

The Saints announced on Monday that the team has parted ways with manager Mauricio Pellegrino, after his side fell just above the relegation zone.

Since taking over at St. Mary’s Stadium in June 2017, Pellegrino has won just eight matches with Southampton, slightly above 23 percent of the games he has coached.

Additionally, the club revealed that assistants Carlos Compagnucci and Xavier Tamarit have also left the PL side.

The Saints currently sit one point above the bottom three with eight matches remaining in the 2017/18 PL season.

It’s unclear what direction Southampton will take moving forward for the rest of the season, but a number of veteran PL manager remain available.

Mark Hughes, Slaven Bilic, Frank De Boer, Marco Silva and Paul Clement have all coached in England within the last year, and do not currently hold jobs at other clubs.

Hughes — in particular — could be an enticing hire for the Saints considering the veteran coach was a player at St. Mary’s back in the late-1990s for several seasons.

Saints fail to add more in January because of financial constraints, says Pellegrino

Getty Images
1 Comment

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino says that his team did not add any more players in the January transfer window because their targets were “too expensive for us.”

“I think we were prepared. The question is in our targets, we couldn’t bring our targets,” Pellegrino said. “Some of them because it was too expensive for us, some of them because they [other clubs] don’t want to accept our bids.”

The Saints brought in Argentinian striker Guido Carrillo for $27.5 million, but they had other targets they failed to latch onto. Most notably, they were linked with Spartak Moscow winger Quincy Promes but the deal collapsed because the Russian club was unable to find a replacement.

“The market I think in the last two years change a lot, from Pogba, from Neymar, I think the transfer fees are massive,” Pellegrino said ahead of Southampton’s visit to West Brom on Saturday. “When you think about now the transfer fees of the players, it’s difficult to bring good players, good quality and that can play in the Premier League, that’s difficult.”

Southampton has gone 12 games without a win, dropping the team into the relegation zone with just 23 points on the season through 25 matches. Since their last win on November 26th when they sat 10th in the table, Southampton has been outscored 21-12 over the 13 matches, grabbing just seven points, all on draws.

Pellegrino said he wants to wait until the end of the season to “draw a conclusion about our performance,” but if the club continues to struggle, he may not get that long.

Southampton confirms capture of Monaco striker

twitter.com/SouthamptonFC
1 Comment

Southampton’s ailing attack has found itself a possible star, as Saints confirmed the capture of Monaco striker Guido Carrillo on Thursday.

[ MORE: PL Player Power Rankings ]

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright confirmed an agreed fee on Wednesday, and the 26-year-old Argentine was announced a day later with a three-and-a-half year contract.

Carrillo scored 18 goals during his three seasons at Monaco after starting his career under current Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino at Estudiantes.

“I obviously know the coaching staff, I’ve worked with them in Argentina and I also spoke with some players who were former teammates in Argentina, who are now playing in the Premier League and they told me all about the club and gave it a shining reference. Therefore, I had no doubts when I took the decision.”

Saints downfall this season has been a lack of finish as Charlie Austin‘s been hurt and both Shane Long and Manolo Gabbiadini have failed to deliver in front of goal. If Carrillo can feast on the spoils provided by Dusan Tadic, Sofiane Boufal, and others, Saints may quickly find themselves out of relegation trouble.

Charlie Austin charged with violent conduct for Lossl kick

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Southampton striker Charlie Austin has been charged by the FA with violent conduct for his kick to the face of Huddersfield Town goalkeeper Jonas Lossl, and has until 12 p.m. ET to respond.

[ MORE: Midseason Premier League awards ]

UPDATED: Austin has been handed a three-match ban, and has accepted the sanctions from England’s FA.)

In the 37th minute of Southampton’s 1-1 draw against Huddersfield, Austin chased a through-ball that Lossl had come out to collect. As the Terriers goalkeeper slid to ground to scoop up the loose ball, Austin leapt over Lossl’s head as he followed through, but not before sticking the tip of his boot straight into the face of the Danish keeper.

Lossl rolled on the ground for a while in obvious pain, and while he stayed in the game, it is suspected he suffered a broken nose. Austin was not cautioned for the incident by the match referee, as in real-time it was difficult to spot the intent. Huddersfield manager David Wagner criticized the Saints striker after the match, but admitted he did not see how bad it was until watching the replay.

“After seeing the video footage, this should usually never happen, that an opponent hurts another opponent on purpose,” Wagner said in his post-match media availability. “I don’t like to say this, but it looks this way. Jonas as well was absolutely surprised. This was a nasty challenge and nothing I like to see. I think he looks like this challenge was very ugly and nasty. This should never happen. Charlie Austin made the wrong decision in this moment.”

Austin would likely be slapped with a three-game ban if he accepts the charge, which would see him miss matches on Boxing Day against Tottenham, New Year’s Eve against Manchester United, and January 2nd against Crystal Palace.

Whether he accepts the charge or not, the 28-year-old suffered a hamstring injury later in the Huddersfield game and is likely out for the rest of the festive period anyways, according to Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino, who said he would be out “a couple of weeks minimum.”

Saints’ Pellegrino frustrated by “chaotic” draw with Newcastle

Leave a comment

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino was displeased with his club’s day at St. Mary’s, even if Saints finally found their finishing feet.

Manolo Gabbiadini scored with a magnificent move and then again from the spot, but Saints were down 1-0 and 2-1 to visiting Newcastle on the day.

[ RECAP: Saints 2-2 Newcastle ]

The second half was frenetic and entertaining, and Pellegrino says his formation played a role in that (Which certainly may not bode well for those wanting an attacking Saints side in the near future).

From the BBC:

“It was a chaotic game. We conceded a couple of soft goals. In the last 20 minutes we could win the game but we could also lose it.

“As a manager I don’t like this sort of game. We scored two goals but we didn’t always control the game. Newcastle won a lot of second balls because we played with two strikers.”

Well… maybe drop one of those strikers tactically when not in possession?

Anyway, Saints can feel encouraged by a strong second half in which they scored twice and had plenty of control.