LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) – The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed Musa Bility’s appeal to overturn his exclusion from the FIFA presidential election.
Bility, who is from Liberia, failed to make the field after failing an integrity check.
FIFA’s election monitoring panel ruled the Liberian soccer federation president ineligible last month. No reason was publicly given, but Bility said a previous criminal allegation against him was dismissed by a Liberian court.
CAS says it will release the grounds for its decision early next year.
FIFA has approved five candidates for the election to be held on Feb. 26. Michel Platini, who has been handed an eight-year ban but still hopes to run for FIFA presidency, is also expected to appeal to CAS.
Michel Platini (right) is unlikely to be FIFA’s next president, but his “right hand man” could fit the bill.
UEFA secretary general Gianni Infantino has joined the race for FIFA’s spot, and Asian Football Federation president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa (above left) has also announced his entry into the race.
The deadline to join the race is 7 p.m. ET tonight (11 p.m GMT).
[ MORE: All of PST’s FIFA news and updates ]
That makes it nine candidates in the mix to replace Sepp Blatter. Each needs the backing of five federations.
Joining Platini, Infantino, and Salman are are South Africa’s Tokyo Sexwale, Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein of Jordan, former Trinidad and Tobago international David Nakhid, former Fifa deputy general secretary Jerome Champagne, and Liberia FA president Musa Bility. Former Nigeria standout Segun Odegbami has said he will stand for election, but not filed.
The election will be held Feb. 26, 2015.