Paulo Dybala

Dybala goal video
Photo by Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images

Juve’s beautiful blowout sees Ronaldo free kick, Dybala magic (video)

Leave a comment

Technique isn’t leaving Cristiano Ronaldo any time soon.

The Portuguese star, 35, scored his 25th league goal of the season on a day of pretty goals for Juventus, who is moving closer to yet another Serie A scudetto.

[ MORE: Sane completes Bayern move ]

Juve opens up a 7-point lead on Lazio, who holds a match-in-hand, by beating up rivals Torino 4-1 at Juventus’ Allianz Stadium.

The match also holds special significance for Gianluigi Buffon. The veteran goalkeeper broke his tie with Paulo Maldini for most appearances in Serie A history when he made his 648th.

Ronaldo’s free kick was exceptional, his 629th senior goal coming in his 841th appearance (He has 221 assists in those outings).

Ronaldo and Juan Cuadrado each had a goal and an assist while Paulo Dybala scored with a wonderful bit of dribbling to open the scoring.

Andrea Belotti scored for Torino, who also conceded an own goal to The Old Lady.

Dybala, we mean, look at this shimmy.

Juventus’ Dybala finally tests negative for coronavirus

Paulo Dybala
Photo by Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Paulo Dybala’s prolonged fight with the coronavirus in finally over.

Juventus announced that Dybala tested positive for COVID-19 in late March.

More than a month later, it was announced that Dybala’s fight continued to the tune of four more positive tests.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ] 

Dybala took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce that he has tested negative for the virus, and Juventus says his home isolation is complete.

The Serie A club returned to individual training earlier this week. Juve leads Lazio by a point in the scudetto race, and Dybala’s been a big part of it.

The 26-year-old has 13 goals and 12 assists across all competitions this season. Only Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more goals for Juve.

Report: Paulo Dybala tests positive four times for COVID-19

Getty Images
1 Comment

Juventus and Argentina star Paul Dybala has tested positive for COVID-19 four times in the last six weeks, according to a report.

Dybala, 26, announced way back on March 21 that he and his girlfriend Oriana Sabatini had contracted the coronavirus and over six weeks later he has yet to recover.

CNN have some more details on Dybala’s situation, while Juventus have yet to comment.

“He is doing well now, he has no symptoms and is even training. Now he is waiting for the results of the latest two swabs. Dybala has to respect the healthcare system and the time it takes. He is a soccer player and doesn’t get preferential treatment,” the CNN source said.

Per the report, it is unclear when the tests were carried out and Dybala is currently waiting for his latest test results to come back.

Juventus have had three players test positive for COVID-19 but Daniele Rugani and Blaise Matuidi have since tested negative and have made a full recovery.

This news regarding Dybala and his four positive tests is concerning for many reasons, not least because it is unclear how games could return in Italy, or elsewhere, until leagues, clubs and players can be certain all players are not carrying COVID-19 and can spread it to other players and officials. Also, how many testing kits would need to be made available each day just to have leagues return?

How would it be fair to restart a league if certain clubs do not have their full squad of players as several are missing due to having COVID-19?

Serie A clubs are set to return to individual training on May 4 and team training on May 14 but doubts are already arising as to whether the 2019-20 season can continue across Italy’s top-flight.

Transfer Rumor Roundup: Montiel to Palace or West Ham, Coutinho to depart Barcelona

Getty Images
Leave a comment

River Plate is one of many clubs that could use this coming transfer window to earn a payday after taking losses in the coronavirus shutdown, and that could come at the benefit of one Premier League club.

West Ham is apparently one of a few teams after Argentine international Gonzalo Montiel who could fetch River Plate somewhere in the vicinity of $24 million. The right-back is a River Plate youth product who established himself as a regular for the club at just 20 years old and has spent the last three seasons earning significant minutes. Now 23, Montiel is a strong passer who can create for teammates with long-range deliveries.

Argentine publication Ole mentions that Spanish side Valencia has shown interest of late, but also states that West Ham made contact in January but was turned down by River Plate and the Hammers could be suitors again once the next window arrives. Montiel was also linked with Crystal Palace by Goal back in late March, while Argentine newspaper El Intransigente linked the player with Southampton. Palace and Saints both make sense as they are both looking to replace big-name departures of late, with Crystal Palace still yet to truly replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka while Southampton has not seen much from those brought in to take over for Cedric Soares.

Barcelona is reportedly ready to lower its asking price on Philippe Coutinho, with a bid of $86 million potentially workable for the Catalan club, according to a report by the Evening Standard.

Coutinho was extremely poor in his season-and-a-half at Barcelona, and while the Brazilian playmaker had upped his game on loan at Bayern Munich before the coronavirus shutdown, the purchase price on his loan deal is a whopping $130 million, which Bayern Munich is not willing to pay.

Barcelona is desperately in need of funds to support its summer business, with Lautaro Martinez and Neymar both heavily linked with the La Liga giants. It’s highly unlikely that both will be possible to acquire given both the team’s business of late and the coronavirus shutdown causing financial strain on clubs all over the world, and a significant sale may even be needed to get one of them over the line. Coutinho provides such a possibility, but with Barcelona not exactly in a position of strength given Coutinho’s lack of recent star power and the club’s need to sell, dropping the asking price is a highly likely eventuality.

The Evening Standard report mentions that Barcelona believes the Premier League is the “most likely possibility” for a Coutinho suitor given the league’s memories of his incredible spell at Liverpool just a few years ago.

Speaking of the Premier League, Manchester United was reportedly close to securing a marquee striker last summer before eventually sticking with Marcus Rashford up front. Speaking to Italian print publication Tuttosport on Wednesday, Romelu Lukaku’s agent Federico Pastorello said that the Belgian big man almost went to Juventus on a swap deal before Manchester United backed out of the transfer negotiations due to Dybala’s high wage demand. Eventually, Lukaku departed for Inter Milan where he settled in quickly and has contributed to a furious title challenge that just lost steam before the coronavirus shutdown.

Pastorello simply responded “It’s true” when asked if Dybala had been a focal point of Manchester United negotiations, but hedged his answer with, “Romelu, however, had always hoped to go to Inter because he was impressed by the affection of the Inter fans.”

Juventus confirm Dybala tests positive for coronavirus

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Juventus have confirmed that star playmaker Paulo Dybala has tested positive for coronavirus.

[ MORE: Serie A scores, schedule ]

The Serie A side now have three players who have COVID-19 with Dybala joining Daniele Rugani and Blaise Matuidi in testing positive.

Juve released the following statement on Saturday as the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Gonzalo Higuain have flown home to Madeira and Argentina respectively to self-isolate.

“Paulo Dybala has undergone medical tests that revealed a positive result for Coronavirus-COVID19. He has been in voluntary home isolation since Wednesday 11 March. He will continue to be monitored, following the usual regime. He is well and is asymptomatic.”

In recent days Italy has overtaken China as the country with the most deaths during the coronavirus pandemic as several Serie A stars have tested positive as players from Juventus and Sampdoria have been impacted.

Dybala sent out the following message on social media on Saturday confirming he has coronavirus as he wanted to reassure people that he was doing fine, as was his girlfriend Oriana who has also tested positive for COVID-19.

“Hello everyone, I wanted to inform you that we have just received the results of the COVID-19 test and both Oriana and I tested positive. Fortunately we are in perfect condition. Thanks for your messages and greetings to all,” Dybala said.