rape accusations

David Santiago/Miami Herald/Tribune News Service via Getty Images

Brazil indicts model over rape allegation against Neymar

1 Comment

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) Sao Paulo police say they are indicting Brazilian model Najila Trindade and her former partner over her rape allegation against soccer star Neymar.

Police said Tuesday they indicted the model for procedural fraud, slanderous denunciation and extortion.

Her former partner Estivens Alves is accused of disclosing erotic content, which was then published online.

[ MORE: Almiron ends drought ]

Trindade went to Sao Paulo police to accuse Neymar of raping her at a Paris hotel in May. Neymar denied the accusation and said their relations were consensual.

Prosecutors officially closed the investigation against Neymar earlier this month, citing a lack of evidence against him.

The Associated Press doesn’t name alleged sexual assault victims unless they make their identities public, which Trindade did in several interviews.

Clark County ‘declines to prosecute’ Ronaldo for rape

Photo by Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
1 Comment

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face sexual assault charges for a June 2009 incident in the United States, attorneys say.

An American woman filed a civil lawsuit against the Juventus superstar last year, claiming that Ronaldo forced himself upon her while she was in a prone position in his hotel room.

[ MORE: Bayern keen on Zaha ]

Ronaldo had expressed belief that he would be cleared of the claims, and claimed that graphic documents produced by German publication Der Spiegel were altered and fabricated.

Las Vegas police issued a warrant in a bid to get Ronaldo’s DNA, and the DA’s office says the woman’s refusal to name her attacker stopped them for collecting “vital evidence.” The woman reached a civil settlement with Ronaldo in 2010.

From News3LV.com:

“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the D.A.’s office said. “Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.”

Attorney: Ronaldo rape report documents altered, fabricated

AP Photo/Armando Franca
1 Comment

LAS VEGAS (AP) Cristiano Ronaldo’s new Las Vegas lawyer says claims that the soccer star raped a woman are “complete fabrications” and the encounter was consensual.

Attorney Peter S. Christiansen on Wednesday issued a statement that doesn’t deny Ronaldo and the woman reached a non-disclosure agreement in 2010.

The statement declared that documents cited in media reports about Ronaldo’s Las Vegas hotel penthouse encounter in 2009 with Kathryn Mayorga were altered before being “irresponsibly published.”

[ MORE: 1 year on from USMNT’s dark day ] 

Mayorga’s attorneys did not immediately respond to messages.

A lawsuit filed Sept. 27 in Nevada state court seeks to void the non-disclosure agreement that Mayorga’s attorneys say she signed while accepting $375,000 to keep quiet.

Las Vegas police say they have reopened a sexual assault investigation of the encounter between Ronaldo and Mayorga.

The Associated Press does not generally name people who say they are victims of sex crimes but Mayorga has given her consent through her lawyers to make her name public.