Saudi Arabia

Newcastle United takeover
Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Report: Newcastle have prospective American buyer if takeover fails

1 Comment

Newcastle United may be in for a takeover even if the Saudi-led takeover fails the Premier League’s Owners and Directors Test.

Mike Ashley’s sale of the Northeast outfit to a group controlled by the Saudi Investment Fund and spearheaded by Amanda Staveley has been under review for over two months despite being expected to take 4-5 weeks.

The takeover sparked much debate over whether the Magpies could be transformed like Chelsea and Man City this century, and had the club linked with many transfers and even former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino.

[ MORE: Newcastle season restart preview ]

Well the Telegraph’s Luke Edwards says that if the test is failed, the club will have another buyer once it hits the market.

The buyer is American businessman Henry Mauriss, though the report admits that Staveley and her partners remain confident the takeover will happen.

From The Telegraph:

The buying side remain confident their bid will eventually be passed, but Mauriss is understood to be ready to move and has a team in place to get the deal done. Telegraph Sport has been told this is a serious and credible project.

Mauriss has looked closely at the football operation and already has an idea of how to grow the club, on and off the pitch, and is full of admiration for the way his fellow Americans, Fenway Sports, have transformed Liverpool’s fortunes.

Mauriss would become at least the second American to look into Newcastle United, with investor Joseph DaGrosa getting deep into the process late last year.

[ MORE: New PL schedule ]

Giovinco, Gomes lead Al-Hilal to Asian Champions League title

Photo by Etsuo Hara/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Familiar names Bafetimbi Gomis and Sebastian Giovinco are now Asian Champions League winners after Al-Hilal outlasted Urawa Red Diamonds 2-0 Sunday, giving the Saudi Arabia club its third ACL title with a 3-0 aggregate victory.

Gomis (goal) and Giovinco (assist) were involved in the scoring, with the latter setting up Saudi Arabia international Salem Al-Dawsari for the opener.

[ MORE: Everton struggles in focus ]

It’s Al-Hilal’s first crown since 2000, the Saudi side re-joining Pohang Steelers as the most successful club in the competition.

Japanese side Urawa was bidding to win its third title and second in three years.

Former Watford man Andre Carrillo scored in the 1-0 first leg.

U-20 World Cup: Panama bumps Portugal, US to face France

Associated Press
Leave a comment

The final day of group stage play has come to an end and the knockout stages are set, with some surprises.

Most notably, Panama took down Saudi Arabia 2-1 for its first U-20 World Cup victory ever to finish with four points, good enough not only for third in Group E behind powerful Mali and France, but also good enough to pip mighty Portugal for the final third-place qualification slot. Both teams ended group stage play with four points and a -1 goal differential, so Panama advances having scored three goals to Portugal’s two.

Portugal could have advanced with a win on the final day, but instead a 1-1 draw with South Africa left them to their fate, while Argentina and South Korea advanced out of Group F, each with six points after a 2-1 South Korea win over the Argentines on the final day.

In addition, France’s narrow 3-2 win over Mali sees the favorites win Group E and earn a date with the United States in the Round of 16. France could have won the group with a draw as well, but found an 87th minute winner from 19-year-old Lyon striker Amine Gouiri. That goal made it 3-1 at the time, but Ousmane Diakite made it the decisive goal with his 95th minute goal with the last kick of the game.

The U.S. advanced out of Group D yesterday with a second-place finish behind Ukraine, and with France’s victory on Friday, the two will meet Wednesday in what will prove an uphill battle for the Americans, missing key players Alex Mendez and Chris Durkin due to yellow card accumulation.

Other Round of 16 matchups include Colombia vs. New Zealand, Ukraine vs. Panama, Italy vs. Poland, Japan vs. South Korea, and Senegal vs. Nigeria. The winner of the U.S. and France will match up against the winner of Uruguay and Ecuador, while maybe the match of the round pits Argentina against Mali.

Reports: 48-team 2022 World Cup decision in June

Legacy/Qatar 2022 via Getty Images
3 Comments

If FIFA can find appropriate countries to help Qatar host the 2022 World Cup, we may very well have a 48-team tournament.

The 2022 edition has been under the microscope about as long as Qatar has held the rights to host it, with workers’ rights and slave labor joining a suspicious bidding process which ultimately helped usher former FIFA czar Sepp Blatter out of his seat of power.

[ MORE: Analyzing the UCL draw ]

Ten venues across five countries have been mentioned as possible co-hosts, with Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Kuwait in the running to host select World Cup matches.

FIFA conditionally approved the expansion of the tournament on Friday, pending a “joint feasibility study” conducted by Qatar and FIFA.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino infamously quipped that sharing the tournament could bring a measure of peace to the Middle East.

A 24-team 2021 Club World Cup was also approved, as the threat of big European teams boycotting the summer edition looms over Infantino’s plan to expand FIFA’s marquee club tournament.

Giovinco out, Boyd in at Toronto FC?

AP Photo/Michael Probst
Leave a comment

Sebastian Giovinco has one year left on his Toronto FC contract, but also wants his next contract sorted quickly.

That may mean a move abroad, as the Italian wizard considers interest from Saudi Arabian side Al-Hilal.

Selling Giovinco would allow TFC to cash in on their star, and may also prod Jozy Altidore to the door — Liga MX? — ahead of a new contract as Ali Curtis reshapes the championship team reared by Tim Bezbatchenko.

Al-Hilal is managed by former Benfica and Sporting Lisbon boss Jorge Jesus, and has Bafetimbi Gomis, Andre Carrillo, and Jonathan Soriano on the books.

The move comes as Toronto is linked with oft-injured Darmstadt striker Terrence Boyd. The Reds acquired the top spot in the allocation order from FC Cincinnati this week in a trade for Nick Hagglund, and USMNT striker Boyd is believed to require allocation to arrive in MLS.

Boyd, 27, was one of the top American talents abroad when he sealed a 2014 move to RB Leipzig following a standout pair of seasons at Rapid Wien, but has played just 43 times for RBL and Darmstadt.

He scored four times in 24 Bundesliga matches during the club’s 2017-18 relegation campaign, but counts just one appearance of more than 15 minutes amongst his 13 times on the field for the 2.Bundesliga side.

Boyd was last capped in 2016.

Make sure to tune-in for our special Transfer Deadline Day show on NBCSN on Thursday, Jan. 31 from 5 p.m. ET as we focus on all of the moves across the Premier League in the January window. You can stream the show live online right here.