Sporting Lisbon

Photo by David S. Bustamante/Soccrates/Getty Images

Sporting Lisbon reportedly considering renaming stadium for Ronaldo

Leave a comment

Sporting Lisbon president Frederico Varandas is open to giving a very high honor to his club’s brightest products.

Ronaldo scored five times in 30 matches for Sporting, having joined the club in 1997 and made his league debut for the club in 2002 before transfering to Manchester United in 2003. He’s now at Juventus.

[ REPORT: Man Utd agrees with Mandzukic ]

He’s since become one of the greatest players in the history of the game, winning five Ballon d’Or awards and helping Portugal to its first two European tournament wins.

Now one goal away from 700 for club and country, his name is moving toward another major mile marker, according to Marca:

The Portuguese side are looking for ways to deposit money and selling the name of the stadium is a viable option, so allowing the ‘CR7’ brand to buy the stadium’s naming rights would not only bring in funds but it would enable them to still honor the greatest player they have ever produced.

It’s a little gross, though the purchase would obviously drive some business for Sporting Lisbon and is cosmetically more appealing than Giant Portuguese Bank Stadium. Over time, sadly, the honor would look the same as the Netherlands’ renaming its stadium after Johan Cruyff. Or it could look like the Jordan Brand buying the naming rights to the Dean Smith Center. Who knows?

“Calling the stadium ‘Cristiano Ronaldo’ is an option that, right now, we are not against,” said club president Frederico Varandas. “It would be a source of great pride for us. … We are very proud to be associated with Cristiano and that the name of the best player of the world is associated with Sporting.”

Wait, Frederico, when did someone mention Lionel Messi?

The stadium is currently named Estádio José Alvalade for the man who founded the club in 1906.

Report: Man United to seal Maguire, Fernandes transfers

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Manchester United look set to spend big in the final week of the window.

A report from Gianluca Di Marzio in Italy claims that United have agreed deals for both center back Harry Maguire and central midfielder Bruno Fernandes.

The combined total transfer fee for these two players will be around $180 million.

Maguire, 26, has been chased by United all summer long and missed Leicester City training yesterday. It was said he called in sick but per the report United agreed a deal to sign Maguire on Monday.

The report also goes on to state that Fernandes, 24, is close to arriving from Sporting Lisbon. Fernandes scored 31 goals from midfield last season and the Portuguese international has been in fine form during preseason.

Maguire trained with Leicester on Tuesday but is believed to want the move to Man United this summer, but the Foxes are holding out for a transfer fee of over $100 million which would make him the most expensive center back in history.

As for Fernandes, he was reportedly in tears during Sporting’s friendly against Valencia on Sunday with many linking that to him leaving in the coming days. Fernandes has previously said he wants to play in the Premier League but Sporting are holding out for over $80 million for their goalscoring midfielder.

Transfer rumor roundup: Cutrone to Wolves; Fernandes to United stalls

Getty Images
1 Comment

The transfer window is in full swing as reports and rumors are in overdrive between now and Aug. 8 when the window shuts for the start of the 2019-20 season.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Here’s a look at some of the latest gossip from around the Premier League…


Patrick Cutrone, 21, has been linked with a move from AC Milan to Wolverhampton Wanderers by many outlets, with our partners Sky Sports reporting a fee is close to being agreed between the two clubs.

The Italian international has spent his entire career at hometown club Milan, but it appears they may want to cash-in on Cutrone to help with some of their financial issues. Would he want to leave his homeland for Wolves though?

Wolves are said to be willing to pay $22 million up front with plenty of add-ons included further down the line, but that seems like quite a low fee for a player who scored 27 goals in 91 appearances for Milan, including 10 goals in 18 appearances in the Europa League. The youngsters is behind Krzysztof Piatek in the pecking line at the San Siro, for now, and he may not be the main man at Wolves either.

Do Wolves need another forward? Raul Jimenez is their main target forward and Cutrone is cut from the same cloth as the Mexican striker who scored 17 goals across all competitions in his debut campaign in England in 2018-19.

Aside from Jimenez, Wolves’ options up top are a little thin with Diogo Jota a completely different type of forward and then they have youngster Niall Ennis and maybe Adama Traore could do a job as a striker.

With Wolves’ Europa League campaign set to stretch the squad further than last season it is quite bizarre that Nuno Espirito Santo hasn’t strengthened his squad considerably this summer. Maybe he believes in the talented youngsters he has coming through the academy. Maybe he is waiting for the right players to become available in the market as they still have to negotiate the Europa League qualifying rounds.


Bruno Fernandes’ move to Manchester United seems to have stalled, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is said to be frustrated when it comes to signing the Portuguese midfielder.

Has United’s interested cooled because it now looks like Paul Pogba will stay this summer?

Fernandes, 24, scored 31 times for Sporting Lisbon in all competitions last season and scored a goal and grabbed an assist in their 2-2 draw with Liverpool at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday.

But the London Evening Standard report that United are becoming increasingly “irritated” that Sporting are trying to create a bidding war, as they hold out for over $70 million for Fernandes.

The attacking midfielder has a release clause of $40 million in his contract, but there is a clause which Sporting can trigger which allows them to pay Fernandes $6 million direct if they reject any offer over his release clause. So, yeah, that deal is a little more complicated than it seems and it is no wonder United are getting frustrated.

Their top priority should be adding a center back (ahem, Harry Maguire) and maybe another forward (Nicolas Pepe, anyone?) if Romelu Lukaku is allowed to leave for Inter Milan in the coming days.

Fernandes would be a luxury addition and perhaps this is a ploy from United to try and give Sporting a kick up the backside to get the deal done.

Liverpool allows two more goals in Sporting draw

AP Photo/Frank Franklin II
Leave a comment

Liverpool’s still working out the kinks after surrendering two more goals against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium.

Simon Mignolet allowed a howler to Bruno Fernandes, who set up Wendel for an equalizer after Liverpool had taken a 2-1 lead on goals from Divock Origi and Georginio Wijnaldum.

[ MORE: Key questions for 20 PL clubs ]

The result means the Reds have allowed two or more goals in all three of their U.S. based friendlies (3-2 loss to Borussia Dortmund, 2-1 loss to Sevilla, and Wednesday’s draw).

The Reds have also beaten Bradford City and Tranmere Rovers, and are yet to see Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, and Sadio Mane in the lineup.

Last season’s preseason wasn’t perfect, it must be noted, but the Reds only once lost and allowed multiple goals (A 3-1 loss to Borussia Dortmund).

The rough night in defense came after the news that Nathaniel Clyne will be lost until at least January with an ACL injury.

On a bright note, a young Liverpool defender said hello to the club after moving from PEC Zwolle this summer.

Transfer gossip: Brahimi to Arsenal; Ndombele to Man Utd

Photo by Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arsenal’s summer transfer rumors revolved around defending, but the last few weeks have focused on attack options (outside of endless Kieran Tierney talk).

Last week, it was Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace.

Enter Yacine Brahimi.

[ MORE: Lampard, Chelsea take next step ]

The 29-year-old Porto man may be joining the Gunners on a free transfer, providing plenty of experience to Unai Emery‘s attack corps.

Capped 48 times by Algeria with 11 goals, Brahimi had been with Porto since 2014. The left winger has 54 goals and 43 assists in 215 appearances over that time.

There are a lot of questions here, but the price tag of free-99 makes them all pretty palatable.


TalkSport claims that the many reports of Tanguy Ndombele’s eventual move to Tottenham Hotspur may have jumped the gun.

Or maybe Manchester United has jumped the line.

Last week saw reports that the 22-year-old Lyon man’s fee may go up soon if Spurs can’t sort the price for the midfielder.

And perhaps United will pay the $82 million fee and give Ndombele whatever he wants.

It would be a huge blow to Spurs, if only to Mauricio Pochettino who has publicly complained about how other clubs get to dictate terms on transfers while he just plays a role in Daniel Levy’s structure (He’s also given plenty of respect and credit to Levy over the years).

The same report mentions a potential breakthrough for United when it comes to its attacking ranks, and that’s in the form of Wissam Ben Yedder.

The $44 million price tag is not insignificant for the 28-year-old Frenchman, who scored eight goals in Europa League and 18 goals with nine goals in La Liga play at Sevilla.

That was his best season since his final four seasons with Toulouse, where Ben Yedder scored 15, 16, 14, and 17 league goals at Ligue 1.


O Jogo is linking Newcastle United with Dutch striker Bas Dost, but we wonder how much of that is based on long-term interest versus reality. Dost, 30, was linked with the Magpies in the past but is now well past the age mentioned as their transfer age limits. But it’s a rumor, so it makes the wrap, along with Sevilla interest.