Transfer Rumor Roundup

Photo by Lucas Uebel/Getty Images

Transfer rumor roundup: Spurs get Lo Celso, Sessegnon; Luiz to Arsenal

1 Comment

A roundup of Wednesday’s biggest transfer rumors from around the world, including those involving a few Premier League clubs, less than 24 hours before Thursday’s deadline at 5 p.m. ET…

[ MORE: 2 days to go until new PL season: Is it a 2-horse race again? ]

We’ll wait to see where they fall on the scale of “winners and losers,” but Tottenham Hotspur has undoubtedly been the busiest club ahead of the deadline, according to reports from dozens of outlets from more than a handful of countries. We’ll start there.

According to the BBC, a fee has finally been agreed with Real Betis for 23-year-old midfielder Giovani Lo Celso. This one has been dragging on the entire summer. Perhaps we’ll soon find out which side caved, but don’t count on it being Daniel Levy.

Whether or not it’s related to Lo Celso, Spurs have also ended their pursuit of Barcelona’s Philippe Coutinho. Paulo Dybala: also off. Manchester United’s pursuit of Christian Eriksen is also reportedly over.

From the same report, Spurs are also negotiating with 19-year-old left back Ryan Sessegnon, who spent last season in the PL with Fulham before being relegated. Both deals are expected to be completed and announced ahead of Thursday’s deadline.


Arsenal’s desperate need for a center back is yet to be addressed, but there’s a last-minute rumor doing the rounds that Chelsea’s David Luiz sits high atop the Gunners’ list. Luiz’s current contract runs two more seasons. The 32-year-old Brazilian didn’t take part in any part of Chelsea training on Wednesday.


According to Sky Sports, Wilfried Zaha handed in an official transfer request as he makes one final effort to force through a move to Everton.

The Toffees were also reportedly rejected in bids for Alex Iwobi (Arsenal) and Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Transfer rumors: Eriksen to Man United; Lukaku uncertainty

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Maybe Christian Eriksen isn’t staying at Tottenham after all.

Our partners Sky Sports are reporting that Manchester United are making a late move for the Danish international, with Eriksen, 27, out of contract next summer at Spurs.

Eriksen said at the end of last season that he thought it would be a good time for a fresh challenge, but reported moves to one of Real Madrid or Barcelona haven’t come to fruition over the summer.

With Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Daniel James and Harry Maguire signed over the summer, Man United are making waves in this summer window under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Players will want to be a part of this new-look United side and Eriksen’s experience could be crucial.

But do United need Eriksen? They have Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard and Pogba in the attacking midfield positions so a late move for Eriksen could suggest that Pogba may be moving on after all…

Watch this space.

Earlier this summer it was report that Eriksen would be available for a cut-price $75 million due to having just one year left on his deal, but with United focusing on shoring up their defense this summer, the Danish playmaker would be more of a luxury signing at this point.


Sticking with Man United, the future of Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku remains unclear.

Lukaku, 26, is currently training with former club Anderlecht as Vincent Kompany has allowed the striker to join his team. But what next for Lukaku?

After United pulled out of a swap-deal with Juventus for Lukaku to trade places with Paulo Dybala, the former Chelsea and Everton forward is now stuck in limbo.

It seems like that a move to Inter Milan is most likely for Lukaku.

Inter have chased him all summer and Antonio Conte said over the weekend that he hoped a move for Lukaku could be arranged in the final days of the window.

For now, Anderlecht is training with Anderlecht for a second day with Man United refusing to comment.

Transfer rumor roundup: City’s Sane demands; Spurs’ backup plan

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

A roundup of Thursday’s biggest transfer rumors from around the world, including those involving a few Premier League clubs…

[ MORE: Arsenal sign winger Nicolas Pepe for $87 million ]

Bayern Munich’s pursuit of Leroy Sane has been unrelenting this summer, but Manchester City’s demands are high — sky high — and that might just be the deterrent required to keep hold of the 23-year-old. According to the Telegraph, Man City have put a $166-million price tag on the German winger. It might be time for Bayern to begin looking at backup options.


Bruno Fernandes has been one of the most frequently linked players to Manchester United, but a move is yet to materialize this summer and now Tottenham Hotspur might be sneaking through the backdoor and making their play for the 24-year-old Portuguese midfielder. Tottenham’s pursuit of Giovani Lo Celso is yet to land the Argentine at White Hart Lane, thus Daniel Levy is apparently moving to a backup plan of his own. Spurs reportedly made a bid of $63 million, but Sporting CP are said to be holding out for the Fernandes’ full $107-million release clause.


Man City’s pursuit of a new starting right back is ongoing, with Juventus’ Joao Cancelo still the no. 1 choice. According to the Guardian, City are willing to include Danilo as a makeweight in the exchange.


And finally, today’s Harry Maguire update: he has been left out of Leicester’s squad for a friendly against Atalanta, but Manchester United’s current bid still stands about $12 million short of what Leicester would like.

Transfer rumors: Oyarzabal to Man City; Milinkovic-Savic to Man United

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The transfer window is in full swing as reports and rumors are in overdrive between now and Aug. 8 when the window shuts for the start of the 2019-20 season.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Here’s a look at some of the latest gossip from around the Premier League…


Man City don’t want to sell Leroy Sane this summer, but Pep Guardiola has admitted that the player will decide the outcome as Bayern Munich continue to lurk and grow in confidence of signing the German winger.

But the reigning Premier League champions have a plan in place to replace Sane. Step forward, Mikel Oyarzabal.

The Real Sociedad star, 22, has a release clause of $83.5 million and according to a report in Spain from AS, City will activate that in order for the Spanish U21 international to replace Sane.

Oyarzabal starred for Spain in their U21 European Championship success this summer and with Sane said to be valued at around $93 million, City would replace one hugely-talented, and young, winger with another. Oyarzabal has been a rising star at the Basque club and he’s scored 14 goals in each of the past two seasons, with four La Liga campaigns now under his belt.

City don’t want Sane to leave but if he does, they kinda have this transfer market thing figured out, right?


A report from the Daily Mail claims that Manchester United have agreed a deal for Serbia and Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, but the move will only go through if Paul Pogba leaves for Real Madrid this summer.

The central midfielder, 24, has been linked with Europe’s top clubs time and time again over the past few seasons but after bursting onto the scene in Serie A in 2016, his stock has fallen a little after some inconsistency and a less than impressive 2018 World Cup. But in the 2018-19 campaign he rebounded to lead Lazio to the Italian Cup and he was also named the best midfielder in Italy’s top-flight.

A powerful, attack-minded central midfielder, Milinkovic-Savic would be a perfect like-for-like replacement for Pogba if he was to leave United. It is believed Lazio also want over $100 million for their Serbian star, which is $50 million less than what United want from Real for Pogba.

If this does happens, maybe Ed Woodward is showing the first signs that he is indeed a genius in the transfer market after all…

On a serious note, the jury is still out on Milinkovic-Savic at the highest level and his defensive capabilities are a little concerning and may be similar to the issues United have had with Pogba in recent seasons. The fact he is called the Serbian Pogba says it all, as his talent is undoubted and United would need him to become more of an all-round midfielder.

Fun fact: Milinkovic-Savic’s brother, Vanja, was a United goalkeeper from 2014-16 but left them after failing to gain a work permit in the UK.

Transfer rumor roundup: Lukaku-Dybala swap; Moise Kean to Everton

Photo by Chris Ricco/Getty Images
Leave a comment

A roundup of Sunday’s biggest transfer rumors from around the world, including those involving a few Premier League clubs…

[ MORE: Saturday’s transfer rumor roundup | Friday | Thursday ]

Paulo Dybala was linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur earlier in the week, followed by the possibility of being included as part of a deal taking Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United to Juventus. However, the 25-year-old Argentine forward would prefer to stay at Juve under new manager Maurizio Sarri. Coming off a hugely disappointing season in 2018-19, on the heels of a breakout campaign in 2017-18, Dybala would probably be best off leaving Turin, and the shadow of Cristiano Ronaldo, for more plentiful chances elsewhere.


Juve winger Moise Kean is widely considered one of the brightest young prospects in all of Europe, which means that Everton signing the 19-year-old Italian would be a massive coup for the Toffees. Somehow, some way, they are the front-runners to acquire Kean, though Juve are reportedly insisting on a buy-back clause in any transfer agreement, just in case Kean ascends to superstardom in the near future.


Gareth Bale‘s proposed move to Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning has been canceled by the board at Real Madrid, as the directors believe it would represent too large of a loss on the precious world-record transfer fee. Bale would have left Madrid for no fee, with Jiangsu Suning unwilling to pay Madrid on top of offering the play $1.25-million weekly wages.


Patrick Cutrone’s arrival to Wolverhampton Wanderers is imminent, with the 21-year-old Italian forward only needing to complete his medical exams before an announcement later this week.