Vincent Tan

Getty Images

Cardiff City management confirms Warnock will stay in charge

Leave a comment

Cardiff City brass confirmed on Tuesday that manager Neil Warnock will remain in charge next season despite the club’s confirmed relegation to the Championship.

Just two days ago after Cardiff was confirmed relegated after a 3-2 loss to Crystal Palace, Warnock was unsure of his future, saying, “I’ve got to let things settle and not do anything rash,” Warnock said after the match. “I will be working next year, I will have a year somewhere. I am looking forward to that challenge again now.” When asked directly if that would be at Cardiff City, Warnock responded, “I have no idea.”

Warnock brought the Bluebirds up from the second tier last campaign, only to see them sent back down. However, Cardiff owner Vincent Tan pointed to Warnock’s specialty in promotion as a big reason for his decision to keep the 70-year-old in charge, as he currently owns eight promotions in his career, a record in English football.

“I am happy for Neil to stay and achieve his ninth promotion to the EPL,” Tan said on Tuesday. In addition, club chairman Mehmet Dalman also threw his support behind the current boss. “I think he’s playing such a critical role and it would be a shame to see anything different from that – I do not expect anything different from that,” Dalman told BBC Radio Wales. “I talk to Neil on a regular basis, we have a great relationship. I know Vincent has a great relationship with him.”

Warnock believes despite relegation this season, the club is on the rise, even going so far to say this is his favorite season as boss. “I think when you look back to when I came to the club, I thought the club was broken, I thought it was really in a poor state,” he said after the loss to Palace on Saturday. “You saw the fans tonight, I think club is almost reborn now. I’m so proud that the fans have been like they have been because I’ve never experienced anything like that in my career. As daft as it sounds, I think this season has been the best I’ve ever had in management – I’m quite proud of what we’ve achieved, and we’ve got relegated. It is a difficult thing to digest but that’s how I feel.”

Warnock has spent time in charge of Queens Park Rangers, Leeds United, Huddersfield Town, Sheffield United, and Crystal Palace throughout a 39-year managerial career. He joined Cardiff in October 2016 after spending less than a year at Rotherham United where he helped the club avoid relegation to League One.

Cardiff City is Premier League; Playoffs, relegation set

Photo by Ashley Allen/Getty Images
4 Comments

Cardiff City is going back up to the top flight.

City sends its headline-making owner Vincent Tan back into the Premier League, where the Bluebirds would become the second Welsh team should Swansea City avoid relegation.

[ MORE: Sir Alex in intensive care ]

Cardiff City opened the door with a scoreless first half, but Fulham politely declined to put any pressure on the Bluebirds by conceding twice in the first 45 minutes against relegation-threatened Birmingham City en route to a 3-1 loss. Cardiff drew Reading 0-0.

Cardiff was relegated from the Premier League after one season, 2013-14.

Wolverhampton Wanderers have already been promoted as Championship winners, while the playoffs begin next week.

The battle for the final spot in the Premier League will feature No. 3 Fulham, who was beaten by Birmingham City, against No. 6 Derby County, and a match-up between No. 4 Aston Villa and No. 5 Middlesbrough.

As for the relegated clubs, as results for Birmingham and Bolton Wanderers avoid a final day drop.

Bolton’s survival was quite unbelievable. Adam Le Fondre put the Wanderers ahead of Nottingham Forest in the second half, but Ben Osborn and Jack Colback scored nine minutes apart to put Bolton back in the Bottom Three. Yet David Wheater and Aaron Wilbraham scored in the 87th and 88th minutes to send the Macron Stadium into elation.

Burton Albion and Barnsley join Sunderland in heading down to League One.

FA delays Mackay racism decision as Cardiff board boycotts Wigan trip

Leave a comment

The FA released a statement today saying it has delayed a decision on the Malky Mackay and Iain Moody case due to “significant new information.”

Reports say FA officials had been hopeful of resolving the case this week, but now it could be extended into the latter parts of the season. There is no information on what the new evidence or materials may be.

The statement read, “Due to the emergence of significant new information The FA is currently not in a position to conclude its ongoing inquiries into the allegations relating to Malky Mackay and Iain Moody.”

Mackay and Moody are under investigation by the FA for having exchanged racist and distasteful text messages about players while at Cardiff City back in August. Both left the club soon after, and Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan brought the case to the FA. The timing of the case likely cost Mackay a shot at the Crystal Palace managerial position, which he was reportedly in the running for.

However, Tan has been displeased with the FA’s handling of the case, particularly with how long it’s taken. As a showing of solidarity, the Cardiff board decided to boycott the club’s trip to Wigan on February 24, a game which Cardiff won 1-0. The board was not asked by Tan to do so, according to reports, but did so on its own as a show of support for the club owner.

Wigan recently hired Mackay to try and pull them off the bottom of the Championship table, but instead all it’s done so far is spark another racism spat where Wigan owner and then-chairman Dave Whelan tried to defend Mackay’s actions, only serving to pull himself into the mess. Whelan this morning resigned as chairman, but says he will not sell the club.

Wigan owner Dave Whelan accused of anti-Semitic remarks

6 Comments

After hiring under-fire manager Malky Mackay on Wednesday, Wigan Athletic’s owner Dave Whelan now finds himself at the center of an anti-Semitic storm following his own comments to the British press.

[ RELATED: Mackay text scandal ]

Whelan, Wigan’s long-standing owner, was heavily criticized for hiring Mackay as the Latics’ new boss while the manager is still embroiled in an ongoing FA investigation into alleged racist, sexist and homophobic messages he is said to have sent during his time in charge of Cardiff City.

But Whelan, 77, has stood by Mackay following the damaging allegations and offered him a job just three months after the scandal broke.

[ RELATED: Mackay hired by Wigan ]

Following an interview with the Guardian newspaper of the UK on Thursday, Whelan will now have to answer plenty of questions about his own comments when asked about Mackay’s previous behavior.

Read the excerpt below from the Guardian, as Whelan’s comments are downright disgusting and have no place in the soccer world or anywhere else.

Asked whether he did not think what Mackay said was offensive, because the claim that Jews “love money” has been used as a negative stereotype, Whelan said: “Do you think Jewish people chase money a little bit more than we do? I think they are very shrewd people.” Asked if he himself believed that, Whelan, the multimillionaire former owner of JJB Sports, said: “I think Jewish people do chase money more than everybody else. I don’t think that’s offensive at all.”

Whelan said he did not think there was “a lot wrong” with anything Mackay said, and there was no malice or disrespect… He added: “It’s telling the truth. Jewish people love money, English people love money; we all love money.”

Whelan was then asked if Mackay’s comments referring to Cardiff’s owner Vincent Tan as a “chink” were offensive. This was his reply.

“If any Englishman said he has never called a Chinaman a chink he is lying,” Whelan said. “There is nothing bad about doing that. It is like calling the British Brits, or the Irish paddies.”

What in the world is going on at Wigan?

That small family club from the north west of England, who captured the hearts of soccer fans around the world when they won the FA Cup against all the odds back in 2012, have gone down the pan. Whelan should have never hired Mackay as their new manager in the first place. At the very least he should have waited for the FA’s investigation to have finished. Even then, many believe that Mackay should have been forced to wait for quite some time for his next managerial position in soccer.

I am of that opinion too. Whelan has made some poor decisions over the past few days to first hire Mackay, then back him 100 percent and also incorrectly state that nothing will come of the investigation against his new manager. And finally, this entire sorry affair has culminated in Whelan throwing himself under the bus with anti-Semitic and racist remarks of his own.

Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors

5 Comments

Is it possible the Los Angeles Galaxy could become the little brother in town when L.A.’s second Major League Soccer franchise comes around in 2017?

With the wattage of starpower on display at the “LA2” press conference on Thursday afternoon, they are sure going to get a run for their money. People involved in the ownership group are Magic Johnson, Nomar and Mia Hamm Garciaparra, Tony Robbins and… wait for it… Vincent Tan!

[ MLS: Playoff predictions/preview | Season-ending awards ]

In what will be called “Los Angeles Football Club” as it goes through its branding, MLS has announced that L.A. has officially been awarded another team.

From MLSSoccer.com:

“We are thrilled to welcome Henry Nguyen, Peter Guber, Tom Penn and their owner partners to Major League Soccer,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.  “This visionary ownership group will chart a course that will further elevate the sport in this great city and, combined with a new state-of-the-art stadium, accelerate us down the path toward becoming one of the top soccer leagues in the world.”

Along with Nguyen, Guber and Penn, the new team’s ownership group includes: Ruben Gnanalingam, co-owner of the English Premier League’s Queens Park Rangers, Vincent Tan, owner of the Football League Championship’s Cardiff City and FK Sarajevo of the Premier League of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Earvin “Magic” Johnson, former Los Angeles Lakers star, Chairman and CEO of Magic Johnson Enterprises and an owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Mia Hamm Garciaparra, U.S. women’s soccer great, Tony Robbins, America’s #1 life and business strategist, best-selling author, entrepreneur and philanthropist, Nomar Garciaparra,former Major League Baseball star and SportsNet LA baseball analyst, Larry Berg, senior partner at Apollo Global Management and a co-owner of AS Roma, Allen Shapiro, CEO of Dick Clark Productions and managing partner of Mosaic Media Investment Partners, Chad Hurley, co-founder and former CEO of YouTube and the founder and CEO of MixBit, Rick Welts, President and COO of the Golden State Warriors Basketball Club, Bennett Rosenthal, co-founder and senior partner of Ares Management and a co-owner of AS Roma, as well as Kirk Lacob, Mark Leschly, Mike Mahan, Irwin Raij, Paul Schaeffer, Brandon Schneider, Jason Sugarman and Harry Tsao. A few additional prominent owners are expected to be added to this list shortly.

Those are some big, big names with Premier League and Championship connections. And there’s a pathway of sorts from the new LA to QPR and Cardiff City, much like DC United and Sunderland, and NYCFC and Manchester City.